Important Files offsite backup RRS feed

• Question

•  

Sorry if this already been suggested !

Is it possible to do a remote offsite backup of your most important files (and maybe the computer backups) to a offsite remote store.  I talking about products like BT Vault ( http://www.digitalvault.bt.com/base/login.jsp)  I've tried installing this but it say can't install because of windows server 2003 etc.. I know this isn't your fault but do you know of a product that does the same job and maybe interfaces with WHS ?

The reason why I'm thinking of products like this is because if there was a fire at my house I've would has lost everything ?  Computers and server

I know you'll say put the stuff on a external drive and stick it in a fire safe etc..  but I would really love a product that does it automatic... once a day over night.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 9:21 PM

Answers

• You could take a look at Jungle Disk, too.

What do you do with your important documents now? I've been taking electronic documents off site for a long time on external hard drives, and important papers (mortgages, loans, insurance policies, etc.) are all kept in a safe deposit box in a bank. It's a matter of discipline.

And fire safes are death to electronics, unless they are rated for that use. Most fire safes work by having a water-bearing compound between the inner and outer walls. That water evaporates as the outside environment heats up and cools the safe, but the humidity goes up to 100% inside the safe, and 100% humidity at 200° F is not kind to electronics...
    Friday, January 11, 2008 3:55 PM

All replies

•  

I use IDrive Pro for the same reasons you mentionand am very happy with it:   http://www.idrive.com/

We were evacuated from our house in the recent Southern California fires with very short notice.   It was very nice not having to worry about packing up my server as we scrambled around to get out of the house.

Friday, January 11, 2008 1:48 PM
  • You could take a look at Jungle Disk, too.

What do you do with your important documents now? I've been taking electronic documents off site for a long time on external hard drives, and important papers (mortgages, loans, insurance policies, etc.) are all kept in a safe deposit box in a bank. It's a matter of discipline.

And fire safes are death to electronics, unless they are rated for that use. Most fire safes work by having a water-bearing compound between the inner and outer walls. That water evaporates as the outside environment heats up and cools the safe, but the humidity goes up to 100% inside the safe, and 100% humidity at 200° F is not kind to electronics...
    Friday, January 11, 2008 3:55 PM
  • Ken,  Thanks for the info I'll take a look Jungle looks exactly what I want.  I'm currently create several copies of data and place on DVD which and put one in my fire safe and also another copy in my mums.....Yes I know what you mean about the fire safe bad for electronics it's a pain.

One comment of Jungle Disk how do I tell it to backup my PC backups ?

Thanks again.

Saturday, January 12, 2008 10:17 AM
  • Currently, you cannot backup your backups in an easy manner, either with Jungle disk, or any other Add-In. The forthcoming Powerpack will have this facility - to backup to an attached drive, whether other software solutions appear, we will have to see.

Colin

Saturday, January 12, 2008 4:26 PM