Get path for AcroRd32.exe RRS feed

• Question

• I have a need to get the absolute path of an executable.  AcroRd32.exe to be more specific or the default handler for PDF files.

I won't know the release of adobe installed so I am looking for something other than a set path.

I know I can use the registry to get the default handler which is where I get the name AcroRd32.exe. How can I find the full path from that point?  It is in the system %PATH%.  Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

• Moved by Mike Feng Tuesday, April 23, 2013 1:38 PM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 2:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Voast,

I would like to suggest you post this issue on adobe forum to know which path they install the adobe products.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 1:38 PM
  • The paths are pretty set and easy to guess, 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader <version>\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

The issue lies in not know which version or if it x86 or not.

I guess I could ask the question this way.  If I can open run and type "cmd", I know that is in my PATH variable.  Is there a way to get the path to it.  I am basically looking for the equivalent of the "which" command in Unix/Linux for C#.  Regardless of the application that is being executed.

Thanks

**Update: I found I could do this with the where command.  It works for cmd anyways.  Not for adobe. Which is done through the registry.  I am thinking of just using this key to grab the value.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Software\Adobe\Acrobat\Exe

• Edited by Voast Dev Tuesday, April 23, 2013 1:57 PM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 1:43 PM