WHS wireless access RRS feed

• Question

• I posted this question to another section on the forum

'
    I have a wired NIC and a wireless card installed in my WHS. The wired NIC has been set to a static IP while the wireless card gets its IP dynamically from the router. I have previously set a static address for the wireless card. When I view the IP address of WHS in the Router Configuration Details it tends to show the address reflecting the wireless card rather than the (static) address of the wired NIC. Case in point if I let the wireless card gets its address dynamically then WHS goes with that address. If I set a static address for the wireless card it goes with that address. My router does not have the option to set a static IP to a specific MAC address. My question is, is there a way to make WHS use the (static) address of the wired NIC rather then defaulting to whateverddress the wireless card happens to be? Any help would be greatly appreciated!'

I was told that wireless was not supported. Shouldn't wireless laptops have access to the WHS Share? My WHS setup has a wired NIC and a wireless card. Outside of my issue mentioned above everything works beautifully. I can use the WHS Connector software on wireless laptops and all works dandy but I'm still being told it is a no-no. Anyway that is why I posted this into the "suggestion box"
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 1:22 AM

Answers

• Jeffmski, as was said in that other thread, wireless connection of your server to your home network isn't supported. It might work, but you shouldn't count on it, and if you start having problems with backups, browsing shares, using the remote access site, etc. the first advice you would get is to try a wired connection.

If you feel strongly that you need to be able to connect your server to your entwork wirelessly and have it be a supported configuration, you should make a product suggestion on Connect.

Wireless connection of client PCs to your home network is supported, with the caveat that you will be unable to perform a restore using the Restore CD if you have wireless security turned on.
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 3:28 AM

All replies

• Jeffmski, as was said in that other thread, wireless connection of your server to your home network isn't supported. It might work, but you shouldn't count on it, and if you start having problems with backups, browsing shares, using the remote access site, etc. the first advice you would get is to try a wired connection.

If you feel strongly that you need to be able to connect your server to your entwork wirelessly and have it be a supported configuration, you should make a product suggestion on Connect.

Wireless connection of client PCs to your home network is supported, with the caveat that you will be unable to perform a restore using the Restore CD if you have wireless security turned on.
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 3:28 AM
  • I could be wrong but the way I understand your post is you think the WHS must have a wireless card in it to connect to a wireless laptop is that correct? If this is what you are thinking you are wrong. The wireless laptop will connect to the router wireless and from the router the connection becomes wired to the WHS.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 9:16 AM
  • I will try and sum up your problem and a very simple solution.

1) you wish the server to have full wireless connectivity to your home network.

Step: 1

Remove the wireless card from your server as WHS does not support multi homing (more than one IP)

Step 2

Install your wireless router as a gateway to your home network between your ISP and all other machines.

Stel 3

Of your router supports UPnp then run he wizard in the WHS console and you are done, all wireless devices can acces the WHS and the remote access will forward through your router to whatever IP the WHS pulls.

Step 4

If you have a non uPNP router the simply go into network setup on the WHS admin Console (via RDP) and configure the WHS to have a static "Local" IP Address the manually forward ports 80, 443 and 4125 to that IP address in your routers web page.

Example:

Your Router is using IP Address  192.168.1.1

Configure your WHS to use IP: 192.168.1.250.   Subnet 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.1.1 and DNS 192.168.1.1

Then in the routers setup go to port forwarding nad forward ports 80  443 and 4125 to IP 192.168.1.250.  

Reeboot your router then run the Remote Access Wizard on the WHS,

Thats it your done, now your wireless PC's and your wired PC (if all connected to your server) can be backed up and access the WHS shares.

But like I said your only problem is trying to use your WHS as a device with multiple NIC cards

Monday, July 14, 2008 6:45 PM