How To Block USB Flash Drives In Windows XP client machines Using GPO? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

I need to block usb flash drives for windows xp client machines using GPO.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 10:27 AM

Answers

• Viswa,

I would request you to Visit the MSFT site or try steps mentioned below to know the answer for your question. Hope this may help. Please let us know if you have any difficulties.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555324

How to Block usage of USB Removable Disks

To block your computer's ability to use USB Removable Disks follow these steps:

1. Open Registry Editor.
    2. In Registry Editor, navigate to the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR
    1. Locate the following value (DWORD):

Start and give it a value of 4. Note: As always, before making changes to your registry you should always make sure you have a valid backup. In cases where you're supposed to delete or modify keys or values from the registry it is possible to first export that key or value(s) to a .REG file before performing the changes.

1. Close Registry Editor. You do not need to reboot the computer for changes to apply.
      Sachin Shetty| MCP|MCTS|MCITP| Please remember to mark the replies as answers and Vote as helpful if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.Thank you in advance.
    • Edited by SachinShetty10 Wednesday, February 10, 2010 11:23 AM
    • Proposed as answer by SachinShetty10 Wednesday, February 10, 2010 11:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:58 PM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 11:14 AM
  • Note that this is the "Training and Certification " forum.  I'd suggest you post this in the proper Windows Server (either Server 2003 or Server 2008, depending upon what you're running) forum from the Forums home - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 1:43 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Viswa,

I would request you to Visit the MSFT site or try steps mentioned below to know the answer for your question. Hope this may help. Please let us know if you have any difficulties.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555324

How to Block usage of USB Removable Disks

To block your computer's ability to use USB Removable Disks follow these steps:

1. Open Registry Editor.
    2. In Registry Editor, navigate to the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR
    1. Locate the following value (DWORD):

Start and give it a value of 4. Note: As always, before making changes to your registry you should always make sure you have a valid backup. In cases where you're supposed to delete or modify keys or values from the registry it is possible to first export that key or value(s) to a .REG file before performing the changes.

1. Close Registry Editor. You do not need to reboot the computer for changes to apply.
      Sachin Shetty| MCP|MCTS|MCITP| Please remember to mark the replies as answers and Vote as helpful if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.Thank you in advance.
    • Edited by SachinShetty10 Wednesday, February 10, 2010 11:23 AM
    • Proposed as answer by SachinShetty10 Wednesday, February 10, 2010 11:23 AM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 11:14 AM
  • can u tel me in detail how to import .adm files and then pushing GPO to client machines?
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 11:22 AM
  • sachin,
    going and editing the registry in every individual machine is hard. so can u tel me process of pushing the GPO
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 11:31 AM
  • Note that this is the "Training and Certification " forum.  I'd suggest you post this in the proper Windows Server (either Server 2003 or Server 2008, depending upon what you're running) forum from the Forums home - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 1:43 PM
    Answerer