2 questions. 1 Sales process or sales stages in a new entity and 2 integration to sharepoint errors using certain columns in sharepoint libraries RRS feed

• Question

• I am setting up MS CRM 2011 online for a consulting firm who would like to have a sales process for their consultants as well. 

That is they use the opportunities pages and the sales processes therein, but they also have consultants that they 'place' and that has a sales process also. 

What I would like to know is can I clone the opportunities entity and simple name it consultants change some fields and their mappings to accomplish this? or Can I simply copy the process stages into a new entity?

Has anyone heard of this? can it be done? I am not afraid of code, and I have a very competent developer on the team. So either the easy way or the hard way is fine. As long as we can get it to work.

2nd question is our sharepoint MS CRM integration is experiencing issues when we had certain columns in our sharepoint library? Also connecting to an existing site has been problematic. Specifically I can upload documents from CRM to sharepoint but when I try to view the documents I just uploaded I receive a web part error which for the life of me makes no sense at all. Apparently the CRM and SharePoint should have the same language although I would MS would have thought about this. Other than that connecting to a new site works but we have an existing site with a particular folder structure we would like to maintain. 

If my 2nd question should be posted in a different forum please just point me to it.

Looking forward to your response and comments.

Thank you

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 3:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

About your first question, it completely depends on your requirement. If your new procedures has little differences with the existing one, then you could use multiple forms. In this case you could create new fields for your new procedures on the "Opportunity". Then you have to create multiple forms based on the security roles (i.e. one for the old procedures which has the common fields and one for the new procedure which could contain the new fields). If your requirement has lots of different fields the first solution is not good enough. You could create a new entity (including plugins, JavaScripts and new buttons) similar to opportunities. In this you could create all the new features manually, and you could not simply copy or clone the existing entities!

About your second question, I think there would be some security issues in SP. Check that the logged in users have enough security access to the existing folders. Also, try to update your CRM to the latest Rollup to avoid CRM related issues.

Small Business Accounting Solution for CRM 2011

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 4:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

About your first question, it completely depends on your requirement. If your new procedures has little differences with the existing one, then you could use multiple forms. In this case you could create new fields for your new procedures on the "Opportunity". Then you have to create multiple forms based on the security roles (i.e. one for the old procedures which has the common fields and one for the new procedure which could contain the new fields). If your requirement has lots of different fields the first solution is not good enough. You could create a new entity (including plugins, JavaScripts and new buttons) similar to opportunities. In this you could create all the new features manually, and you could not simply copy or clone the existing entities!

About your second question, I think there would be some security issues in SP. Check that the logged in users have enough security access to the existing folders. Also, try to update your CRM to the latest Rollup to avoid CRM related issues.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 4:50 PM
  • Thank you for your prompt response. I like the second solution. :)

So where do I start? I mean with creating a new entity complete with plugins etc - I have a few books but nothing in them to point me to a starting place? Do you know of a good place to start. Fields, mapping and relationships are quite straightforward, i understand that, its the fancy new sales process feature on the opportunities entity that's got my panties in a bunch. Excuse the phraseology. Is that a plugin? If so any documentation on how to recreate it? Because if I can do that I am more than half way there.

Thank you, looking forward to your responses and comments.

As for the 2nd question I checked SP security all the users in our org (which are mostly senior consultants) have enough access to read write etc- plus I was testing as admin to both SP and CRM using the same email/username. So I doubt the security is the problem here. So I created a new site, inherited permissions etc from the parent site. And that worked fine. Double checked the existing site (which has some managed metadata columns) and tried to create some columns in SP library on the new site, and the error happened again, removed the column and it worked fine. So I am guessing its certain columns(managed metadata) in SP library. I am hoping the 2013 update will fix this. We have it scheduled for the 29th of this month. Wish I could do it tonight just to see.

Thank you for you input. I suspect that will be solved with some looking. Your help on the 2nd question though would be much appreciated. Thank you

teach a man to fish ... etcetera

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 5:44 PM
  • First of all you should try to completely find out the business of the opportunities. Second you could add custom buttons by ribbon workbench. For the client side coding have a look the Xrm.Page reference. For the server side codes such as calculations have a look at this walkthrough.

About your second question try installing the latest update for the CRM and also the connector component to see if it would be solved.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 5:53 PM
  • What do you mean by completely find out the business of the opportunities?

The links look very useful thank you. I will thoroughly go through them.

As for the second question I assume it will thanks.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 6:11 PM
  • The business: the relations, the logic of the calculations, how buttons work, how products have relations,...

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 6:20 PM
  • Thank you

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:53 PM
  • So I've been playing around with the work bench, I am as yet unable to recreate the opportunity sales funnel feature for my custom consultants entity. Does anyone know of any good places to read up on how to create this plugin?

Thank you

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:39 AM
  • What do you mean of funnel feature? What do you exactly want to do?

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:43 AM
  • My firm places consultants. And just like the opportunities page where at the top there is a sales funnel/pipeline feature. Prospect -> qualify etc. My users would like to have the same feature for placing consultants.

I would like to incorporate or copy the sales funnel/process or stages found at the top of the opportunities page into a new entity entitled consultants. Which would allow us to track consultants as they progress through the various stages to being 'placed'. The same way an opportunity progresses from prospect to closed.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:48 AM
  • the workbench although very useful, doesn't quite allow me to recreate that sales pipeline phases (found on the opportunities page.) I can use a drop down of option sets to accomplish this, but the users love the way the sales pipeline is presented on the opportunities page and would like to have the same presentation for a new entity (consultants). 

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:51 AM
  • About using the Workbench have a look at the link I have introduced last night. Scott provided a good help on this solution. About the buttons in the ribbon of the opportunities, you could have two choices:

1- To use JavaScript to change status or reason of the opportunity (or other similar changes on the FORM).

2- To use plugins. Be aware that you could not directly run a plugin from a ribbon button. You could update the current record by a piece of JavaScript, and then trigger a plugin on the update of that entity. The plugin could be used to update the current record (opened form), or create a new entity's record (such as quote).

This is what happens to opportunities when you qualify or cancel them. About both of the JavaScript and Plugins I have posted above useful links to start learning.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:55 AM
  • the workbench although very useful, doesn't quite allow me to recreate that sales pipeline phases (found on the opportunities page.) I can use a drop down of option sets to accomplish this, but the users love the way the sales pipeline is presented on the opportunities page and would like to have the same presentation for a new entity (consultants). 

Another hint: you could not copy the features! You have to create all of them manually. As I mentioned above, first create a new button (with its proper image), then update the form using a JavaScript. In addition you could run a plugin for more complex situations.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:57 AM
  • My apologies, I am quite new to MS CRM. I've been reading the links you sent and I want to be able to make a start and get the developer on my team to expand on what I can't. 

So to clarify - the ribbon workbench allows me to edit the ribbion and add buttons and controls to the ribbon.

And you are saying that I can use a plugin & code to create an extension to the form interface, emulating the functionality of the sales pipeline.

Does that I mean can design a ui, add my code for the functionality I am trying emulate (not copy). Package this as a plugin and place this on my new form?

If so, I just need to know how I can upload this newly created ui extension that looks like the sales pipeline to my form? 

My apologies for the many questions, I am just new to CRM and I am not sure where and what I can change. But if the above is correct then I will get to work on the plugin to accomplish this.

Thank you. Your clarifications are much appreciated.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 9:16 AM
  • sorry I meant packed as a plugin

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 9:17 AM