Include a link to an Opportunity in an Email Generated by a Workflow RRS feed

• Question

• I have a workflow that emails our inside sales team when a new Opportunity needs to be registered with a partner.  I have it sending an Email Template I created that includes all of the information from the Opportunity. 

What I want to do is put a direct link right to the Oppportunity within the email.  What is the easiest way for me to include the link in the template?  I am getting pretty familiar with CRM Dynamics 2011, but I am not a programmer so if this requires a Web Resource I need some pretty detailed help with what code I would need to add. 

Can someone point me to a relevant solution?  I've been searching and I can't seem to find detailed instructions on the best way to do this. 

Thanks in advance if someone can help me.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 4:58 PM

Answers

• If you have Update Rollup 5 installed, in the WYSIWYG editor for the email, you should see an Insert Hyperlink button.  Choosing it gives you an option to display a link to the Record URL.

Jason Lattimer

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 5:32 PM

All replies

• If you have Update Rollup 5 installed, in the WYSIWYG editor for the email, you should see an Insert Hyperlink button.  Choosing it gives you an option to display a link to the Record URL.

Jason Lattimer

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 5:32 PM
  • Sonoma Partners has a free download plugin Utility that works through workflow that will allow you to imbed a URL into an email from a workflow.  It is very handy I use it all the time.  Get it here.

http://blog.sonomapartners.com/2011/04/workflow-utilities-for-crm-2011-on-premise-editions.html

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 5:43 PM
  • I've been reading about that, but I don't have it on my screen.  We are using version 5.0.9690.1992, which I think is R6.  Any idea why I don't have that button on mine?

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:38 PM
  • My suggestion was using the built in email functionality in the workflow without a template, when using a template to generate the email the Insert Hyperlink functionality is not present.

Jason Lattimer

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 7:17 PM
  • I downloaded the solutions from the link you sent me, but for some reason it fails to install it.  I see on that link in the comments there are other people who are also having trouble getting the solution to install.  I am going in under Settings > Solutions > Import.  It starts working then stops at 40%.  I have the error log below.

Status Failure
    Message An error occurred while importing a Solution.
    Progress [%] 40.00
    Duration [s] 17.5
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 8:04 PM
  • Thanks John.

I guess I will have to just recreate my templates.  I don't quite understand why they don't have that functionality within Templates... but I guess I will have to deal with it.  This is definitely easier than adding a jscript web resource. 

Thanks again John!

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 8:23 PM