Corrupt files on my WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have recently discovered that a number of mp3 files on my WHS have been truncated. I figured that they must have become like this as I had been playing around with itunes and it organised my music files for me (a number of times).

I had an older copy of the files on another share and was in the process of copying these files to my music share when I discovered that some of these music files were also truncated.  Now this has me concerned, as I have never touched this other share with any program.  These files have only been sitting there the whole time as a backup.

I do have an issue with WHS, in that it will blue screen and reboot a couple of times a week.  I built the server myself, and figured that the motherboard may have issues with windows server 2003, and have been holding out for Vail. Very occasionally, I would get file conflicts, but they were only ever for a share that I setup for backups of my media using a backup program (Colbian backup).  On these occasions I would need to run a check disk to resolve and fix the conflicts.

What I would like to know is what happens when a file is corrupted when file duplication is turned on.  Say the file is corrupted on one of the drives, what happens? Does WHS detect the corruption and copy the good file over from the other drive?

Also, if anyone can endow any other knowledge on why my music files are getting truncated, it would be much appreciated!  I am almost at the point of just buying an hp mediasmart server, but I really want to wait for Vail.

Thanks for any help.

Rob

Saturday, June 19, 2010 12:16 PM

All replies

• It sounds like you have an issue with your server, probably something like a storage controller with bad drivers or hardware problems with a storage controller or one or more drives. Try running chkdsk on all the drives in your server, for a start.

As for your question, "it depends". Some types of file issues will result in two copies of the file with the same corruption, some (corruption that happens as a result of disk issues, for example) may only be in a single copy.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, June 19, 2010 1:03 PM