several Server Backup Qs RRS feed

• Question

• I have two external 1TB drives connected to my WHS11 machine.

Q1) even though both are configured for backup, Server Backup doesn't seem to use the most recently added disk unless I "Remove the [other] hard drive from Server Backup" somehow. Is this how it's supposed to work? Since you can't specify some stuff for backup to one drive and other stuff for backup to the other, what would be the point of having multiple discs configured unless, say, it was going to use the to drives to extend the depth of the backup in time?

Q2) at the end of Server Backup Setup it says something to the effect of "now you can remove one drive"--what's the process to remove it? Just unplug it? Go back into Server Backup Setup and uncheck it? RDP and "Safely Remove"? Server Folders and Hard Drives|Hard Drives|Remove the Hard Drive from Server Backup (which winds up back in Server Backup Setup anyway)? I've done the first but then when I re-add it, it wants to rename it. That seems illogical...

Monday, April 9, 2012 10:56 AM

All replies

1. WHS, as you have noted will only write to a single back up disk so having more than one connected at any point in time serves no real purpose. Having said that, you should be able to select which of the two to use when you set up server backup.
    2. If you remove a drive from Server backup then it will want to re-set it up when you reconnect it. Just physically remove the drive when a backup is complete - if/when you reconnect that drive (e.g. after bringing it back from offsite storage), WHS will continue to write as it left off.

Geoff Coupe (who often contributes to this forum) has written an excellent piece on Server backups here:

http://gcoupe.wordpress.com/2011/07/23/server-backups-in-windows-home-server-2011/

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, April 9, 2012 12:34 PM
  • Sorry Phil but your point 1 is not strictly correct.

WHS2011 CAN have multiple backups scheduled (I'm not talking about one backup for multiple times but multiple different backups).

And, each backup CAN be set to use a different backup drive.

If this were not the case then the maximum amount of data you could backup would be 2TB as this is the maxmum size drive that Backup will talk to because of the 2TB limit of NTFS.

Try plugging in a 3TB external backup drive you'll soon see that backup whines about 2TB being the limit.
    Of course 2TB as a backup limit would pretty much render servers useless because you would not be able to secure your data. I have nearly 8TB on 4 x 2TB drives in my WHS2011 and use 8 different 2TB backup drives (they are in 2 x cheapo USB 4disk RAID enclosures ($25-$30 each) set as JBOD) and have multiple backups scheduled to back up different shares and Client backups folder and the server OS itself to differing backup drives.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 12:31 PM
  • NTFS does not have a 2TB limit, it's the use of .vhd files which imposes this.

You can not do what you are saying using the tools built into the Dashboard, which is the only supported way of administering your Server.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 12:56 PM