Are Backups duplicated? RRS feed

• Question

• This question has been asked before, but it's been 4 years so maybe this got added in.

Are the computer backups duplicated on WHS?  Can they be?

I'm concerned that if I lose one drive I lose all my backups.  This isn't a huge issue, normally, but there's always one backup that I want to keep, and that's the initial backup where I've performed a clean install.  It's always a locked backup on WHS, and whenever a computer gets borked beyond all help, that's the one I restore.  Saves a lot of time, and looking for drivers and reinstallation disks, etc.

This could be handled using something like Acronis, or Ghost, of course, but those options have their own issues.

Can this be done?

Thanks folks,

-Matt

• Edited by Matt Greer Sunday, September 11, 2011 7:35 PM
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 7:35 PM

Answers

• The answer hasn't changed in 4 years: no, backups aren't duplicated. The backup database is huge, and will take up twice as much space if duplicated. In addition, large parts of the database change regularly; those changes will need to be replicated, which will lead to performance issues. Finally, while many people do like to use Windows Home Server to archive certain machine states, it's not really a design goal for the product. The intent is that if your home computer fails, you restore from the most recent good backup and continue on.

There are ways to archive an individual backup; I suggest you check the FAQ section for that.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 11:35 PM

All replies

• I don't use WHS1 any more, but are Client Computer Backups listed in the Folders for Duplication Option. If it's important to you, I would also suggest backing up your Server.

Also read this:

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/5740f1c1-8187-4bd1-8ed8-fcd826697d83/

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 8:12 PM
  • The answer hasn't changed in 4 years: no, backups aren't duplicated. The backup database is huge, and will take up twice as much space if duplicated. In addition, large parts of the database change regularly; those changes will need to be replicated, which will lead to performance issues. Finally, while many people do like to use Windows Home Server to archive certain machine states, it's not really a design goal for the product. The intent is that if your home computer fails, you restore from the most recent good backup and continue on.

There are ways to archive an individual backup; I suggest you check the FAQ section for that.

Sunday, September 11, 2011 11:35 PM
  • There is an add-in that will backup the backups.

http://www.wegotserved.com/2010/09/01/addin-update-whs-backup-databasebackup-1033/

for more info, screen shots, download link, etc.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

The answer hasn't changed in 4 years: no, backups aren't duplicated. The backup database is huge, and will take up twice as much space if duplicated. In addition, large parts of the database change regularly; those changes will need to be replicated, which will lead to performance issues. Finally, while many people do like to use Windows Home Server to archive certain machine states, it's not really a design goal for the product. The intent is that if your home computer fails, you restore from the most recent good backup and continue on.

BullDawg
    Monday, September 12, 2011 12:38 AM