Tracking Email from outlook RRS feed

• Question

• When you send and receive mail from outlook, sometimes the sender or recipients email address is in single quotes, for example:

'
    johndoe@yahoo.com'   or    'John Doe' <johndoe@yahoo.com>

The two examples I show above are not the actual email address, they are a label. Unfortunately, CRM tries to look up the label, not the actual email address "behind" the label. Is there a fix for this?

Al
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 9:16 PM

Answers

• This was a bug in MS CRM v3 Router which was fixed by a patch.
    It could be a reoccurance of the same in the MS CRM v4 outlook client.

Like Joel said check for duplicates too.

Have you applied the MS CRM 4.0 rollup for server and cilent? Recommend you do that too.

Please do post the outcome.

regards,
    Hassan.

Sunday, December 14, 2008 11:22 AM

All replies

• Are you 100% sure you don't actually have johndoe's email in multiple records (such as leads, contacts, accounts and users)?  That is the biggest reason that emails that are tracked don't resolve to the right record.  If you have a contact record set up for your users and have their e-mail address on the contact record as well as the user record, e-mails involving those users will not get resolved to the user.  Same thing if you have contact e-mail address on accounts.

Here's a SQL query that you can use to locate duplicate e-mail addresses.

http://blog.customereffective.com/blog/2008/01/find-duplicate.html

The label is just what displays in Outlook, CRM should track by the actual address. 

Sunday, December 14, 2008 4:23 AM
  • This was a bug in MS CRM v3 Router which was fixed by a patch.
    It could be a reoccurance of the same in the MS CRM v4 outlook client.

Like Joel said check for duplicates too.

Have you applied the MS CRM 4.0 rollup for server and cilent? Recommend you do that too.

Please do post the outcome.

regards,
    Hassan.

Sunday, December 14, 2008 11:22 AM
  • Thanks for the help...

I ran the query to detect duplicate emails, and there were none.

We have no run the cumulative update for CRM 4 Server yet, as we usually wait for a few weeks first to see what impact it has on other users. Our installation is quite finnacky as it is, and I do not want to create more problems where there are none. However, if the problems persists, I guess we'll have no choice....

Al
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 7:19 PM