HDR support? RRS feed

• Question

• Now, since wdp (aka hdp) is in fact capable of holding high dynamic range data, is there any chance to get HDmake support HDR input? Either Radiance or OpenEXR support would be just stellar. I believe that would also be a great way to benefit from the live tone adjustments. Currently, I have to tonemap my pano down to 8 bit, just to get a "fake tone curve adjustment", whereas I would much rather have a true exposure shift like in PTViewer (but with he butter smooth scrolling of HDView and low artifacting of wdp.)

best regards,
    Christian Bloch

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 10:23 PM

All replies

• This is coming in our next release, at least the Radiance import is.  I'll have to see about OpenEXR.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 11:54 PM
  • That's awesome, can't wit to get my hands on that.

Thanks,
    Christian
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 1:24 AM
  • Hello,

How is the HDR support coming?

I gave it some testing, and in the latest v1.3 there is still none. The Photoshop Plugin only works in 8 bit mode. The commandline utlity can read .wdp now. But even after saving my HDR as 128 bpp pixelformatted .wdp with the HD Photo Beta PS plugin, and feeding this through the HDmake utility, the tiles generated will still be 8 bit only....

Is it a limitation of hdmake only, or is there any other way to generate HDR content that would work in the Viewer?

Christian Bloch
    Wednesday, October 17, 2007 5:41 PM
  • You are correct that all of our tools today only do 8bit.  But, we're working on HDR.  Not sure on exact dates yet - but approximately two months.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 12:28 AM
  • Are we gonna see realtime tonemapping od HDR images?
    tnx,
    misha
    Sunday, December 2, 2007 6:22 PM
  • I would like to add an extra vote for openEXR.  Source code is available.
    Saturday, August 30, 2008 10:41 PM
  • To Castillonis: technically, OpenEXR is already supported when you use the Photoshop Export plugin. Sort of. I think we can all agree that they should rather work on Mac support than duplicating OpenEXR support for the commandline hdmake. 

To Matt and the whole HDView team: Thank you guys so much for the HDR support. You rock!

Christian Bloch

Sunday, August 31, 2008 4:41 AM