Windows Home Server Console RRS feed

• Question

• Hi :
        I have a little problem.... when i go to the WHS Console, (from my notebook) it .. show me the option for the password.. i put it, and then show a progress bar, and then only show a desktop color but not estart the conlole to can add users, or folders, or see the storage etc.etc.etc.

I i go the the server and see on the task manager the proceses i can see the HomeServerConsole.exe running (it can use up to 38Mb. of RAM), but on my notebook i do not se the Console .. just the windows that show before the password.

If i want to start the console from other home computer, on my notebook show me that for some reason was disconnected... and the some thing pass on the other computer home .. only show the window of the WHS Console but not the components or options to setup or modify settings on my WHS.

If i want to tray to start the WHS Console in side of the WHS as Administrator Loged ... i can see the .exe on the taskmanager .. but nothing showme else the console, .. just i make double click on the icon of the WHS Console on the server .. and nothing happens (just that i can see the HomeServerConsole.exe on the taskmanager)...

Some one know why ? ... some idea ? .... just i'm thinking to back to my older Windows Standard 2003 Server ....

A leave the console opened on my notebook for a complete night .. and do not showme nothing... and do not show my any alert across the Windows Home Server TryIcon.

Thanks
    Sunday, December 30, 2007 8:27 PM

Answers

•  Tixe wrote:
    Hi :
        I have a little problem.... when i go to the WHS Console, (from my notebook) it .. show me the option for the password.. i put it, and then show a progress bar, and then only show a desktop color but not estart the conlole to can add users, or folders, or see the storage etc.etc.etc.

I i go the the server and see on the task manager the proceses i can see the HomeServerConsole.exe running (it can use up to 38Mb. of RAM), but on my notebook i do not se the Console .. just the windows that show before the password.

If i want to start the console from other home computer, on my notebook show me that for some reason was disconnected... and the some thing pass on the other computer home .. only show the window of the WHS Console but not the components or options to setup or modify settings on my WHS.

That's normal.  You can only have one instance of the Console open at a time (you open a second, the first one automatically disconnects).

Tixe wrote:
    If i want to tray to start the WHS Console in side of the WHS as Administrator Loged ... i can see the .exe on the taskmanager .. but nothing showme else the console, .. just i make double click on the icon of the WHS Console on the server .. and nothing happens (just that i can see the HomeServerConsole.exe on the taskmanager)...

Some one know why ? ... some idea ? .... just i'm thinking to back to my older Windows Standard 2003 Server ....

A leave the console opened on my notebook for a complete night .. and do not showme nothing... and do not show my any alert across the Windows Home Server TryIcon.

Thanks

Have you tried rebooting the server and the clients?  What type of hardware do you have in the server?

Sunday, December 30, 2007 8:34 PM
  •  Tixe wrote:
    Yes yes ... i see that is normal... the connection use a TS service to log on remotly on the server and came the console (like ICA or ICU of Citrix), thats ok for me.

Yes i was rebooting the server lot of times .. the server run on are Pentium 4 3.2 with 1.5Gb. RAM and 6 diskdrives of 80Gb. each one.
    And the notebook is a Pentium Dual Core 2 with 2.0 Gb. RAM all on a network wired of 100mbs (linksys 8 ports switch)

The event viewer of the server not showme nothing bad about it ... all the items are on white .. nothing on red or yellow (yet)

You can try installing the WHS toolkit on both the client PC and the server to see what if it finds any problems...

Monday, December 31, 2007 12:03 AM

All replies

•  Tixe wrote:
    Hi :

That's normal.  You can only have one instance of the Console open at a time (you open a second, the first one automatically disconnects).

Tixe wrote:

Thanks

Have you tried rebooting the server and the clients?  What type of hardware do you have in the server?

Sunday, December 30, 2007 8:34 PM
  •  kariya21 wrote:

Tixe wrote:
    Hi :

Yes yes ... i see that is normal... the connection use a TS service to log on remotly on the server and came the console (like ICA or ICU of Citrix), thats ok for me.

kariya21 wrote:

Tixe wrote:

Thanks

Yes i was rebooting the server lot of times .. the server run on are Pentium 4 3.2 with 1.5Gb. RAM and 6 diskdrives of 80Gb. each one.
    And the notebook is a Pentium Dual Core 2 with 2.0 Gb. RAM all on a network wired of 100mbs (linksys 8 ports switch)

The event viewer of the server not showme nothing bad about it ... all the items are on white .. nothing on red or yellow (yet)

Sunday, December 30, 2007 9:07 PM
  •  Tixe wrote:

You can try installing the WHS toolkit on both the client PC and the server to see what if it finds any problems...

Monday, December 31, 2007 12:03 AM
  • Yes I installed it .. and runed it on the server ... so just showme the results as
    Windows Home Server Troubleshooting guide and
    Readme of this tool  ... nothing more..

But on the Notebook or Laptop or Computer Network show me

Cannot connect to the server backup
    But i have the icon of the home server connector on Green, and these service running on the Home Server.

Two or more network adapters are active
    Thats ok .. i have a vmware runnig and it create a one virtual nic, and the WiFi Nic (Power Off .. not connected commonly i use a wired on my house).

Name resolution failed
    I have a DNS Running on other server (a hosting server running Windows 2003 Standard), i do not know why say it .. i have my internal zone and reverse zone created.

More than one IP address
    Thats ok .. i have a vmware runnig and it create a one virtual nic

Windows Home Server Beacon discovery failed
    But i have the icon of the home server connector on Green.

Windows Home Server Connector troubleshooting article
    ReadMe for this tool
    Monday, December 31, 2007 11:24 AM
  • The tool is having problems locating the server, using standard MS networking, so it can't determine that backup is working. Your connector is using the information that it already has.

Are you able to ping your WHS by name?

Are you running OpenDNS?

Have you reviewed the DNS on your server to see that the name and IP for WHS are correct?

Monday, December 31, 2007 1:43 PM
  • Hi .. I have to servers ..

1 - Windows 2003 Standard that runs my websites and mail mail server, it runs a DHCP, WINS, DNS, not is AD Server .. my home networks is a P2P network.

2 - Windows Home server.

on the DNS of the server 1, in the zone that i created for my private home zone (like .home), i added in a host A the netbios name of the home server, and i have the reverse zone for the subnet ip address that i use on my house.

The Home server not use a dinamic IP (the others computers yes , but reserverd by maccaddrees from the DHCP on the server number 1), so my two server the 1 and the home server us a static ip address.

Yes when i ping to my home server it responde echo request alive. if i want to enter to my home server i can do it by netbios name or ip adrress is the some thing.

Everything works less the remote console and from a week ago to here the backup... the connector software not see the server (so icon on blak).

In not running Open DNS  just the DNS Server from MS on the server 1

Crash2975 wrote:

The tool is having problems locating the server, using standard MS networking, so it can't determine that backup is working. Your connector is using the information that it already has.

Are you able to ping your WHS by name?

Are you running OpenDNS?

Have you reviewed the DNS on your server to see that the name and IP for WHS are correct?

Friday, January 11, 2008 2:49 PM