Cannot Access Port 995 forLive Mail RRS feed

• Question

• I use Live Mail for all of my email accounts.  I have 2 Gmail accounts which no longer download emails in Live Mail.  For both accounts I receive the following message:

Unable to send or receive messages for the Gmail xxxx account. The connection to the server has failed.

Server: 'pop.gmail.com'
    Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
    Protocol: POP3
    Port: 995
    Secure(SSL): Yes
    Socket Error: 10060

Last month I received an email from my ISP provider, Verizon, indicating Port 25 for outgoing mail will be discontinued  November 17th.  However, I do not see how that would have an impact on incoming Port 995.

I contacted Gmail which advised the error is a firewall concern.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Camiele
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 10:07 PM

Answers

• The One Care firewall should automatically allow the correct ports for Windows Mail. To verify this is a firewall issue turn off the One Care firewall and see if you can connect to your mail server.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 2:31 PM

All replies

• The One Care firewall should automatically allow the correct ports for Windows Mail. To verify this is a firewall issue turn off the One Care firewall and see if you can connect to your mail server.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 2:31 PM
  • I agree that the OneCare firewall should not be the cause of this. If you are using OneCare, and turning off the firewall resolves it, then I suspect that you have other security software active and running on the PC or not completely removed.
    Other antivirus software that purports to scan email would be the most likely culprit.
    You may also want to seek help here:

Help for Windows Live Mail can be found here - http://help.live.com

Discussion for Windows Live Mail can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop&cat=en_US_0405EAE1-3A5E-559F-59E6-B48513D5B57E&lang=en&cr=US

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 5:50 PM