WHS 2011 New Build - MASSIVE RAID 5 Problems? RRS feed

• Question

• I built a new WHS 2011 Server using an ASUS P8H67-M Pro/CSM mainboard, core i3 2120, 8gb's ram...the works...the RAID 5 is using 4 Seagate 2TB 7,200rpm drives on the built-in ASUS raid controller ("Intel desktop/workstation/server express chipset sata raid controller" is what it comes up as in device manager). Power supply is an Antec eco neo 620w...

Basically this system has been dropping drives out of the array like crazy. Usually random drives but seems to really like dropping the #4 drive most often (and that drive has been replaced for new). It's shown drives out that just needed to be reset to "normal" in intel rapid storage manager, drives that just show up as "missing" status...usually one drive at a time, sometimes two (array would be rebuilding after one went out, then that drive and another one would drop out).

I've been dealing with this for weeks and I'm starting to wonder if it's something with WHS and not the hardware because at this point pretty much ALL of the hardware has been replaced.

Here's what I've tried:

• Reloaded the OS fresh at least 2-3 times
    • Re-created the raid array about 3-4 times (once in windows, in rapid storage manager, the rest from the controllers bios)
    • Almost all of the drives in the machine have been replaced; maybe one that hasn't been?
    • Tested ALL drives using seatools in DOS (bootable seatools disk) AND in windows (smart test, short test, long test and erase test on all four drive - all drives passed, even ones that I've replaced because that particular drive dropped out numerous times)
    • Replaced mainboard and power supply
    • Replaced all cables to drives (both data and power cables)
    • Each time the array is rebuilt

STILL have the same problems.

Is there perhaps a problem with WHS and my hardware? I just can't figure this one out and it's honestly starting to drive me a bit insane.

Saturday, August 11, 2012 6:32 PM

Answers

• it is your drives... the problem is seagate's version of tler.  Depending on which drives you got, they have crippled using consumer drives for raid.  Stick to hitachi as WD has the same issues.  WD did come out with the RED series that may help.  All Of this being said, i have 3x 3TB seagates that i havent had problem with.  I have had problems with the 1.5TB and some of the 2TB seagates.

• Marked as answer by mcdonsco Sunday, August 12, 2012 10:13 PM
    Saturday, August 11, 2012 7:19 PM

All replies

• it is your drives... the problem is seagate's version of tler.  Depending on which drives you got, they have crippled using consumer drives for raid.  Stick to hitachi as WD has the same issues.  WD did come out with the RED series that may help.  All Of this being said, i have 3x 3TB seagates that i havent had problem with.  I have had problems with the 1.5TB and some of the 2TB seagates.

• Marked as answer by mcdonsco Sunday, August 12, 2012 10:13 PM
    Saturday, August 11, 2012 7:19 PM
  • I was wondering about that myself (not for the reason you mention, no idea what tler is, but just that I've heard of issues with 2tb seagates). . . thinking for the same useable space I could do 3 x 3tb drives ... Allows me to add one more later to increase storage if needed...The thing is, I bought all 4 drives at Best Buy (they had the best price, even newegg was more) and tomorrow is my 30 day window...All they have in stock are the 3TB Seagates or WD's - They also have the 4TB hitachi, but $900 total for 3 of those! That's insane for $300/pop when next year they'll be half that.

I take it the "green" drives (like from WD) wouldn't be any better and probably worse?

Hmm...

• Edited by mcdonsco Saturday, August 11, 2012 8:20 PM
    Saturday, August 11, 2012 8:12 PM
  • Seagate drives: use their Constellation ES drives in the size you're using. Seagate has no other enterprise drive in that capacity that I'm aware of. Note that the same thing is true for all other manufacturers: enterprise drives include some variation on limited error recovery, and are only intended for use in RAID arrays, non-enterprise drives don't, and aren't. Use of a drive in an environment the manufacturer didn't design it for puts data on the drive at risk. 

Alternatively, don't use RAID; manage which drive each share is on yourself.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, August 12, 2012 12:30 AM
  • well that sucks...use to be desktop/server array drives were indistinguishable; used to do RAID 0 on my desktops (and others) all the time...jeez a lot has changed in 5-6 years.

Definetely DO NOT want to manage all data/shares on the seperate drives...Thinking of trying software raid instead; performance hit, but might actually work better since the drives will perform just as they do independently that way.

Sunday, August 12, 2012 1:12 AM
  • same problem with the greens... your best bet is the wd reds.  TLER is Time Limited Error Recovery... 
    • Edited by DrX69 Sunday, August 12, 2012 2:29 PM
    Sunday, August 12, 2012 2:24 PM
  • very expensive drives.  
    Sunday, August 12, 2012 2:24 PM
  • one possibility... get a cineraid enclosure.  As i said, i had the 1.5TB just not play nice in a hardware raid, but put them in a Cineraid and have had no problems running them in eSATA mode or usb3 mode.  I am guessing it uses a more tolerant version of hardware raid.  
    Sunday, August 12, 2012 2:28 PM
  • very expensive drives.  
    Perhaps, but designed for the use to which they're being put. I'll note in passing that CineRAID states that enterprise drives should be used for array applications because of reliability concerns, so the question isn't really "How much do the drives cost?", but more "How much is the data worth?"

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, August 12, 2012 6:50 PM
  • Well, I've since done a software raid 5 in windows and though not remotely close to a "preferred" option, it's working fine and I have literally backups of backups so as long as it doesn't continue having the same problem when configured as a software raid 5 array, should be fine.

Thanks!

Sunday, August 12, 2012 10:13 PM