Are custom resources for scheduling possible? RRS feed

• Question

• I am relatively new to HPC server and I wonder whether it is possible to define custom per-node resources that are used for scheduling (i. e. can be requested by the user) as it is possible with Sun Grid Engine. The background is the following: Our cluster has GPUs for GPGPU, but the number of cores per node is larger than the number of cores. I want to achieve that if all GPUs are in use (but not all cores) no further GPU jobs are assigned to this node (each GPU is an exclusive resource).

Is this possible and how would I do this? If not, are there any plans for such a feature in future releases of HPC server?

And an additional question: Are there any plans to allow initiating console sessions from remote in the future? It would be really cool not to rely on the auto-logon feature and allow per-user sessions.

Best regards,
    Christoph

• Moved by Alex Sutton Wednesday, August 19, 2009 4:19 PM Scheduler question (From:Windows HPC Server Deployment, Management, and Administration)
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 7:46 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately we don't have custom resources at this point.  It's a requirement we are aware of but I can't say yet when we'll be able to get it into the product, but it's definitely on our roadmap!

Remote Console Initiation is currently being worked on and we hope to have it in our next version, Windows HPC Server 2008 R2.

Thanks!
    Josh
    -Josh
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 11:41 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately we don't have custom resources at this point.  It's a requirement we are aware of but I can't say yet when we'll be able to get it into the product, but it's definitely on our roadmap!

Remote Console Initiation is currently being worked on and we hope to have it in our next version, Windows HPC Server 2008 R2.

Thanks!
    Josh
    -Josh
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 11:41 PM
  • I see this is quite an old post - are there more possibilities now with R2 SP2, with either Resource Pools or custom filters for job templates? Are there any examples out there?

-Lucy

Thursday, October 13, 2011 6:31 PM