Activated XP Pro by phone without error but still can not log into windows RRS feed

• Question

• The system is using XP Pro SP2 and it is OEM software. I have had this problem happen on the last 3 XP Pro SP2 OEM Operating Systems i have bought.

OS = Operating System

Problem:

I went to log in for the first time after installing the XP Pro SP2 OS. The system told me that I needed to activate before i could log in, which was strange considering it is a brand new OEM OS software kit bought from newegg.com. I did not have my NIC card drivers installed yet so i chose telephone activation. I proceded to give the machine my Installation ID and she then gave me the Numbers to active windows, which i then did. The system logged me off which again was odd because usually you log in right after you activate you OS. I thought no biggie I will just log back in. I logged in with my credentials and it told me i still needed to activate my OS. I clicked ok and it said my OS was already activated. I clicked ok again and it logged me off again. I proceded to try the Adminstrator account as i was logging in with the default account you create during setup, but it got the same results. I have never had this problem before and I am hoping someone cna poitn me in the right direction to finding an answer.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 10:13 PM

Answers

• Tech R. J.,

Running tests on memory and HDD when they are in another computer does not test the suspect computer as a system so the results are inconclusive.

Have you tried on a known good system?

However, if every combination of hardware, including a known good system, results in the same problem, start suspecting the CDs.

Do you know how to examine the CD for the obvious signs of being counterfeit, ie, hologram is a label vs embedded within the CD, and the contents of the setupp.ini file in the CD's \i386 folder?

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:37 PM
  • Hello Tech R.J.

We request all users initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool to try and identify the problem you may be experiencing.  Did you receive any error codes and/or statements whatsoever indicating a failed validation?  Please try validating windows again by visiting the following location:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine next click on the "Validate Windows" button in the upper right corner.  What happens?  The genuine site can also provide you with valuable information so please take time and review the documents.  Another site for helping customers identify genuine vs. non-genuine software is located here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/

Next please download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.  This would assist us immensely so we may analyze possible causes for a failed validation.  Next we will begin formulating a resolution for what may be causing the problem.

Step 2 is telling us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. DO NOT post the Product Key.

5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, January 21, 2008 4:51 PM

All replies

• Tech R. J.,

What happens when you install the NIC drivers and then restart, then activate the usual way using the internet connection?

Monday, January 21, 2008 2:15 AM
  • I never got the chance to install NIC drivers. Windows wanted to activate before first log-in and now when I log-in it says that I still need to activate but when i click ok to procede it tells me my copy of windows is already activated. I click ok and windows logs me out again.

Monday, January 21, 2008 2:08 PM
  • I Have bought 2 Brand new OEM XP Pro SP2 Disc from the reputable supplier Newegg.com and have had a very strange problem with each.

Problem:

I install windows from the disc and when I go to log in for the first time Windows ask me to activate my software. Since I have not got into windows yet the NIC drives have not been installed my only choice was to activate by phone. I proceded to try to activate by phone but I do not get an Installation ID Number to give to microsoft when I call. I tried wiping the drive and starting over figuring something didnt install right from the CD but I have the same issue. I then tried another XP Pro SP2 disc and still the same problem. I would be very appreciative if someone could point out what I am doing wrong or help me in any way. Thanks.

Monday, January 21, 2008 2:29 PM
  • Tech R. J.,

Most of the time, when XP is acting like it has multiple personalities, some of them activated and some not, it has to do with corruption in the activation files.  Other times it has to do with malware and/or activation hacks affecting the activation files.

Since you say these XP CDs are genuine Microsoft hologram CDs from a reputable source, concentrate on diagnosing potential hardware issues that may be causing the corruption.  Run a memory test to check the system's memory, and run an intensive hard disk drive diagnostics test that you can download from the disk drive manufacturer's web site.

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:15 PM
  • I thought that might be the case so installed both the HD and the memory in another PC and ran diagnostics on both. Both came back clean with no errors. I have also tried different brand of hardware for each to see if it was a compatability issue. I have tried 3 different Motherboards, all different models, to no avail as well.

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:23 PM
  • Tech R. J.,

Running tests on memory and HDD when they are in another computer does not test the suspect computer as a system so the results are inconclusive.

Have you tried on a known good system?

However, if every combination of hardware, including a known good system, results in the same problem, start suspecting the CDs.

Do you know how to examine the CD for the obvious signs of being counterfeit, ie, hologram is a label vs embedded within the CD, and the contents of the setupp.ini file in the CD's \i386 folder?

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:37 PM
  • Hello Tech R.J.

We request all users initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool to try and identify the problem you may be experiencing.  Did you receive any error codes and/or statements whatsoever indicating a failed validation?  Please try validating windows again by visiting the following location:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine next click on the "Validate Windows" button in the upper right corner.  What happens?  The genuine site can also provide you with valuable information so please take time and review the documents.  Another site for helping customers identify genuine vs. non-genuine software is located here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/

Next please download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.  This would assist us immensely so we may analyze possible causes for a failed validation.  Next we will begin formulating a resolution for what may be causing the problem.

Step 2 is telling us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. DO NOT post the Product Key.

5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, January 21, 2008 4:51 PM
  • so, how\exactly do you expect a user to run that when the PC wont let the user into windows w/o avtivation (which can't be done w/o a prod key)...

Friday, January 25, 2008 4:57 PM
  • Hello Midnight08x,

Can you please provide us with the version of the Windows Operating System you are currently experiencing issues with?

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Friday, January 25, 2008 5:45 PM
  •  

I have the same problem!

Is there a solution to this????

Monday, April 28, 2008 4:16 PM
  •  

I also have the same problem. I can access my comp in safe mode, but that it.

Is there a solution?

Sunday, May 4, 2008 4:17 AM
  • Hi there!

had the same problem, we used an RTL8139 NIC to get to the next step. But it still doesn't work, but I think it's a problem with our version/language of the licence.

so far,
    Mav2000ger
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 10:11 AM
  • It seems I have a very similar problem. I purchased 5 Windows XP Pro SP2 OEM Version Software items from TigerDirect. I installed the first two on older machines that were running Windows 2000 Professional and everything worked fine. These last three are causing me problems. After setup has completed it takes me directly to the log-in screen. I enter my credentials and it tells me that Windows must be activated before I can log-in. I go to activate Windows via telephone, and there is no Installation ID. I boot in safe mode (without networking, because you cannot log-in with networking until Windows has been activated) and install my NIC driver, which doesn't do me any good considering I cannot configure my TCP/IP settings until I can boot with networking. I make sure there are no missing drivers and I reboot. Still will not generate an Installation ID. This is a known good system that has had Windows XP working on it before. I have read three different memory tests, ran check disk, and a manufacturer HDD test. I have tried using other holographic Windows XP SP2 cds, and I have had no luck resolving this issues. What is the next step?

Thanks,
    Ben Jones
    System Administrator
    Citizens Bank
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 3:01 PM