XP Home > pirated XP PRO > ? RRS feed

• Question

• Help.

I purchased a laptop from Boeing Aerospace. It had a licensed copy of XP installed, but I received no disk. Then I foolishly, installed a borrowed copy of XP Pro. Unbeknownst to me at the time, it was pirated. Ok fine - taught me a lesson.

My first choice would be to remove the pirated XP Pro and just revert back to my XP Home. Is this possible without an XP Home disk? If so, how can I do that?

A second option would be to install a genuine XP Pro Upgrade. I started out along these lines and realized that I had better seek advice. So I have purchased a new, genuine XP Pro Upgrade (1 user). If I can't revert to my original XP Home version, how do I go about replacing the pirated XP Pro with the genuine XP Pro Upgrade version?

Thanks. 

Saturday, November 11, 2006 6:34 PM

Answers

• Iconsult,

Essentially the Genuine Windows Offer that you get when following the counterfeit software prompts is MS selling you a license for a full retail copy of XP Pro at $149 (USA price), which normally "retails" in stores for $299.  Retail copies are supported by MS itself and can be moved to another computer if desired.

If you need and/or want XP Pro, or need/want the convenience of just "getting genuine" and don't mind the $149, it's certainly the least painful way to go.  MS immediately emails you a Product Key, you run the Updater utility, and if your system does not have too many "hacked and cracked" files, you're genuine in less than an hour.  Your genuine CD shows up in the mail shortly thereafter.

OTOH, if the lappy came with XP Home from, say for the sake of example Dell, you call up Dell, order one of their reinstallation CDs for $12, and when it comes you do a clean installation and you're genuine.  It's more involved, it's not Pro (but maybe you don't need Pro for how you're using the lappy), but $12 is a lot cheaper than $149!

Depending upon whether you have a friend or relative with a (staying with the example) Dell lappy, just borrow their reinstallation CD and you don't even have to let go of the $12.  That's a best case scenario, though, because while Dell reinstallation CDs are almost all interchangeable, most other manufacturer's recovery CDs are model-specific and it's likely you'd have to order the exact one for say an IBM or a Sony.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 6:04 PM
  • Dan,

I thank you for the responses. I did the MS direct for $149 and I was done quickly and relatively painlessly - except for the $149.

But I did try the other route - Dell - and after 20 min on the phone they directed me to another location. And after another 20 min on hold at the second location I just hung-up and did the MS thing. I guess the $137 ($149-$12) was a lot less painless to me than sitting on interminable hold.

Anyway, thanks again.

Iconsult.  

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 7:18 PM

All replies

• Iconsult,

The vast majority of laptops are shipped from their manufacturer with a licensed installation of Windows.  Look on the bottom of your laptop to see if it has a Certificate of Authenticity for a Windows OS.  If so, that version/edition of Windows is almost certaily still licensed to run on the laptop.  Assuming this is true, it's a matter of acquiring the media needed to install the licensed OS.  Laptop manufacturers Sony, Dell, IBM, and HP/Compaq are likely to have recovery/reinstallation CDs for you to purchase.

Your Plan B to use an upgrade license for XP Pro to genuine-ize the installed pirated XP Pro will not work.  You will not be able to use the retail upgrade Product Key to genuine-ize the installed XP Pro using the MS Product Key Updater Utility.  However, a PK for a retail full license will work and seems to be the only way to genuine-ize your laptop without requiring a clean installation of an OS.

You would be able to use the retail upgrade for XP Pro if you had either (1) an existing installation of a qualifying operating system (for XP Pro, you would need NT 4.0, W98, W2K, o XP Home) already on the laptop, or (2) the genuine full licensed installation media for one of those OSs available to insert when Setup requests it).

Sunday, November 12, 2006 3:11 AM
  • Dan,

I appreciated your response. I felt all along that my solution would be similar to your advice - I just needed confirmation.

In the interim I have found out that when you turn on your computer and get the message that you have a non-genuine copy of Windows - follow the links, and you can purchase a genuine copy for $149. The $149 will give you a new PK and a disc (sent to you) for future restoration. I have not done this yet, but sounds like the way to go for someone like me. $149 is not too steep of price to pay for screwing up my system. Do you have any adverse response to this method of repair? Thanks. 

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 7:33 PM
  • Iconsult,

Essentially the Genuine Windows Offer that you get when following the counterfeit software prompts is MS selling you a license for a full retail copy of XP Pro at $149 (USA price), which normally "retails" in stores for $299.  Retail copies are supported by MS itself and can be moved to another computer if desired.

If you need and/or want XP Pro, or need/want the convenience of just "getting genuine" and don't mind the $149, it's certainly the least painful way to go.  MS immediately emails you a Product Key, you run the Updater utility, and if your system does not have too many "hacked and cracked" files, you're genuine in less than an hour.  Your genuine CD shows up in the mail shortly thereafter.

OTOH, if the lappy came with XP Home from, say for the sake of example Dell, you call up Dell, order one of their reinstallation CDs for $12, and when it comes you do a clean installation and you're genuine.  It's more involved, it's not Pro (but maybe you don't need Pro for how you're using the lappy), but $12 is a lot cheaper than $149!

Depending upon whether you have a friend or relative with a (staying with the example) Dell lappy, just borrow their reinstallation CD and you don't even have to let go of the $12.  That's a best case scenario, though, because while Dell reinstallation CDs are almost all interchangeable, most other manufacturer's recovery CDs are model-specific and it's likely you'd have to order the exact one for say an IBM or a Sony.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 6:04 PM
  • Dan,

I thank you for the responses. I did the MS direct for $149 and I was done quickly and relatively painlessly - except for the $149.

But I did try the other route - Dell - and after 20 min on the phone they directed me to another location. And after another 20 min on hold at the second location I just hung-up and did the MS thing. I guess the $137 ($149-$12) was a lot less painless to me than sitting on interminable hold.

Anyway, thanks again.

Iconsult.  

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 7:18 PM
  • Can someone help I got a new hardrive my old one was corupted so when the guy who fixed it gave it back to us i eventually found out it was not genuine so i need a new copy or sumthing that can help please email me at bralidbz@gmail.com with an answer or just reply back here which ever one is simpler
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 2:32 AM
  • Arshian2,

Have a look at this post:  http://forums.community.microsoft.com/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/c2be4a37-9ac3-4674-9b30-08fdc9b99dd8

Post your report and problem description in a new thread in this forum:  http://forums.community.microsoft.com/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/threads/

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:13 PM