Multiple Users RRS feed

• Question

• I just got my comp back from the shop with this installed.  i have multiple users on the computer.  I have to set individual back up instructions for each one with this program?  Since, the save point is my DVD/CD burner, I now have to have separate discs for everyone?  Isn't there an easier way?
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 12:10 AM

Answers

• I believe that you are still confusing a OneCare issue and a Windows Update issue.

" I turn on the computer.  Live One Care comes on.  It checks for updates, and needs none."

OneCare does not visibly check for updates when your turn on the computer, so I'm not clear on what you are seeing. If you are launching IE and going to Windows Update, I understand the ActiveX requirement. OneCare checks for updates for itself shortly after a network connection is detected, but there is no visual indication of this unless you open OneCare and see "checking for updates" in the main interface.

" On opening Live One Care, Windows Update prompts me to install  the active x thing on the secondary account"

Once again, there is no relationship between opening OneCare and Windows Update. OneCare checks for updates in the background as part of Tune-up and if it finds that you are missing critical or important updates, you will be prompted to manually visit Windows Update to obtain the updates. So, either you are leaving out a bunch of steps in the above sentence or I'm totally not understanding what you are encountering.

"I click to get the updates, it says I need the active x thing, which it did not need less than 30 minutes before.  On prompting the donwload to continue, on the main account, but the download failed requiring critical updates."

If you are clicking a link in OneCare that advises you that you are missing updates, then I would expect that your web browser, probably Internet Explore, is launching and going to Windows Update. And, yes, it will require you to download and install components - for each user account on the PC in some cases. If it is failing, yes, you should make note of the exact error you are encountering with that failure and go to the Windows Update Solution Center to seek a resolution *or* contact OneCare support per the information at the end of the post.

I agree that you are seeing some odd behavior from OneCare regarding the backup prompts.

Based on your description, I think you need to do the following:

1. Reboot the PC.

2. Log on with your primary administrator account on the PC

3. Provide a LiveID to OneCare without subscribing. This allows settings to be saved for an account.

4. Configure OneCare as desired for backup, tune-up, firewall settings, etc.

5. If you wish, run a tune-up and backup. Do not log into any secondary accounts yet.

6. Reboot the PC.

7. Log onto each of your other accounts (logging back off before logging back on as a different user) and "activate" OneCare on each account. I don't believe that you should have to configure backup for the other accounts as long as it was completed for the primary account - the settings should already exist.

Now, if the above still gives strange results from OneCare in that it wants you to configure itself for each login, I think I would recommend removing OneCare from the PC - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=663806&SiteID=2 and running the cleanup tool - 

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

and then reinstalling the trial under the primary Windows Login once again, following the steps above.

Note that this forum is for community support for OneCare. Meaning that the moderators are volunteers who do not work for Microsoft. The path to support is defined here:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

As a trial user, you will have access to email support.

-steve

Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:05 PM

All replies

• so...i log off the secondary user and go back to the main account.  it says my files aren't backed anymore and i need to download the actiuve-x thing--which i just did on the secondary account and did not need when previously logged into the main account.  when it tries to download it, it can't because windows updater failed--even though it worked fine on the secondary account and the main account previously.  it's asking me to install updates it did not need at all--twice--in the previous 30 minutes.  what kind of junk is this program?  and how do i use it, since it does not want to work consistently.

on a separate issue...every time i launch a program, it asks me if i really want to do this.  is this going to make my XP work like that awful Vista i have on my laptop?
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 12:37 AM
  • so...i open another secondary user on this computer, and  One Care asks if I want to add this computer to an existing account.  Why?  it's the same computer.  I have 5 user accounts on this computer.  does this program not work in such a scenario?
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 12:58 AM
  •  coach mark wrote:
    so...i open another secondary user on this computer, and  One Care asks if I want to add this computer to an existing account.  Why?  it's the same computer.  I have 5 user accounts on this computer.  does this program not work in such a scenario?

I'll answer this one first. This is a quirk of OneCare. Simply sign in with the subscription LiveID and it will immediately be recognized as being the same machine.

-steve

Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:16 AM
  • The backup under the primary administrator account can be made to backup all users on the PC. You can also choose to disable backup completely, if desired.

-steve

Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:17 AM
  •  coach mark wrote:
    so...i log off the secondary user and go back to the main account.  it says my files aren't backed anymore and i need to download the actiuve-x thing--which i just did on the secondary account and did not need when previously logged into the main account.  when it tries to download it, it can't because windows updater failed--even though it worked fine on the secondary account and the main account previously.  it's asking me to install updates it did not need at all--twice--in the previous 30 minutes.  what kind of junk is this program?  and how do i use it, since it does not want to work consistently.

on a separate issue...every time i launch a program, it asks me if i really want to do this.  is this going to make my XP work like that awful Vista i have on my laptop?

What ActiveX thing was downloaded? OneCare doesn't need ActiveX. Or do you mean Windows Updates? OneCare will prompt if critical updates are not installed. If the updates fail, OneCare will continue prompting. If you need help with Windows Updates, see the Windows Update Solution Center - http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

In your first post, you mentioned you got the PC back from the shop with OneCare installed on it. Did you buy it or did the shop install it on their own accord? Based on your experience so far, I'm thinking you may want to go back to the shop and ask them to fix the PC. Configuring OneCare is one thing, but resolving Windows Update issues for failed installs, tells me that something isn't right on the OS.

-steve

Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:22 AM
  • it's the trial version.  and all these helpful tips like "you can do "x" if you want" aren't helpful.  how do i do these things.  that's the whole point of this.  or didn't you guys get that part. 

fine.  let's run through the scenario again.  I turn on the computer.  Live One Care comes on.  It checks for updates, and needs none.  I set the backup config for what I thought was the whole computer and it goes through the tuneup.  I then log onto the first secondary account.  On opening Live One Care, Windows Update prompts me to install  the active x thing on the secondary account--which it did not need on the main account.  it is also asking me to back up my files.  needless to say i am confused by this, since i thought i had alrready done it.  before I configure the backup again, I log off, and go back to the main account--which was never logged of of.  On opening the account, I notice that Live One Care says I have to back up files again and it is prompting me for updates.  I did not do the back up again, because i still don't understand why this is happening or what to do about it.  I click to get the updates, it says I need the active x thing, which it did not need less than 30 minutes before.  On prompting the donwload to continue, on the main account, but the download failed requiring critical updates. 

And you think the OS OS may be bad?  it's XP, fully updated, on a computer I have had over a year.  Live One Care was trial installed to see if I liked the speed better, since Norton bogs things down.  obviously i am not happy with the product.  and even less happy with the support that comes with it.  fine thing to blame the shop when all they did was follow your intallation instructions. 

oh...but since the problem isn't Live One Care, I have to go dig through a whole other set of help files, prompts and people to try to find the answer?  such wonderful support. 
    and Microsoft wonders why people think your customer service is so bad...Got any other bright ideas?  Or more complete information?

if this is the norm for microsoft, i think i can live with slower speeds using norton.  At least it worked
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 2:29 AM
  • I believe that you are still confusing a OneCare issue and a Windows Update issue.

" I turn on the computer.  Live One Care comes on.  It checks for updates, and needs none."

OneCare does not visibly check for updates when your turn on the computer, so I'm not clear on what you are seeing. If you are launching IE and going to Windows Update, I understand the ActiveX requirement. OneCare checks for updates for itself shortly after a network connection is detected, but there is no visual indication of this unless you open OneCare and see "checking for updates" in the main interface.

" On opening Live One Care, Windows Update prompts me to install  the active x thing on the secondary account"

Once again, there is no relationship between opening OneCare and Windows Update. OneCare checks for updates in the background as part of Tune-up and if it finds that you are missing critical or important updates, you will be prompted to manually visit Windows Update to obtain the updates. So, either you are leaving out a bunch of steps in the above sentence or I'm totally not understanding what you are encountering.

"I click to get the updates, it says I need the active x thing, which it did not need less than 30 minutes before.  On prompting the donwload to continue, on the main account, but the download failed requiring critical updates."

If you are clicking a link in OneCare that advises you that you are missing updates, then I would expect that your web browser, probably Internet Explore, is launching and going to Windows Update. And, yes, it will require you to download and install components - for each user account on the PC in some cases. If it is failing, yes, you should make note of the exact error you are encountering with that failure and go to the Windows Update Solution Center to seek a resolution *or* contact OneCare support per the information at the end of the post.

I agree that you are seeing some odd behavior from OneCare regarding the backup prompts.

Based on your description, I think you need to do the following:

1. Reboot the PC.

2. Log on with your primary administrator account on the PC

3. Provide a LiveID to OneCare without subscribing. This allows settings to be saved for an account.

4. Configure OneCare as desired for backup, tune-up, firewall settings, etc.

5. If you wish, run a tune-up and backup. Do not log into any secondary accounts yet.

6. Reboot the PC.

7. Log onto each of your other accounts (logging back off before logging back on as a different user) and "activate" OneCare on each account. I don't believe that you should have to configure backup for the other accounts as long as it was completed for the primary account - the settings should already exist.

Now, if the above still gives strange results from OneCare in that it wants you to configure itself for each login, I think I would recommend removing OneCare from the PC - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=663806&SiteID=2 and running the cleanup tool - 

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

and then reinstalling the trial under the primary Windows Login once again, following the steps above.

Note that this forum is for community support for OneCare. Meaning that the moderators are volunteers who do not work for Microsoft. The path to support is defined here:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

As a trial user, you will have access to email support.

-steve

Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:05 PM