Hard Drive Initialization failed ?!?!?!? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I've reinstalled completely my WHS (new installation) after having disconnected all my "data" disks (7 disks).
    Everything went fine until now that I'm trying to add one by one my disks.

I've connected the first one. I can see it in the homeserver console but when I'm trying to add it to the pool I got an error message:

"Hard Drive Initialization failed"
    "The wizard was unable to create a volume on the hard drive"

The disk is a SATA 500GB disk.
    I can format it without any issue or bad block via the disk management.
    But I have always the same error when I want to add it in the homeserver console.

Any ideas ?
    Patrick G
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 10:41 PM

All replies

• pguizze said:

Hi all,

I've reinstalled completely my WHS (new installation) after having disconnected all my "data" disks (7 disks).
    Everything went fine until now that I'm trying to add one by one my disks.

I've connected the first one. I can see it in the homeserver console but when I'm trying to add it to the pool I got an error message:

"Hard Drive Initialization failed"
    "The wizard was unable to create a volume on the hard drive"

The disk is a SATA 500GB disk.
    I can format it without any issue or bad block via the disk management.
    But I have always the same error when I want to add it in the homeserver console.

Any ideas ?

Patrick G

Have you tried the other drives yet (using different power and data connectors to eliminate whether it's a single drive/cable)?  Also, just out of curiosity, did you try setting it up as a backup drive (instead of adding it to the storage pool)?  If so, does that work?
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 12:40 AM
  • Not tried yet to change cables, but something strange happens each time I would like to add the disk.

When the wizard runs, the "Network critical" (red) comes and I got a message on the client "Backup service is not running on homeserver" and then just after the wizard gives me the message "Initialization failed"..
    It's like "because the backup service crashes", that the wizard cannot complete its task.

Strange behavior. I never noticed that before.

When you add a drive, did you get a "Backup service not running on homeserver"  message in red on the client before ?

I will try changing cables tonight.

Thank you
    Patrick G
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 6:50 AM
  • Hi Patrick,
    how did you try to format the disk - normal or quick?
    Where does the disk come from? Brand new or from somewhere else?
    Maybe it helps to reinitialize the disk as described here.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 7:24 AM
  • The disk is quite new (3 months) and I tried quick and the normal format via the disk management console of Windows.
    It is a disk that I used in my previous installation of WHS. And it worked perfectly.
    I tried as well your method with diskpart.

Without success !

But anyway a normal format would erase all previous "installation data" written on it that would prevent to be reinstalled, no ?

I can format it (no bad blocks). I can assign a letter to it. I can use it normally (copy files to it) even do a network share on it.
    Everything is normal !

But I cannot add it to the pool ! Always the same error of the wizard saying that Homeserver cannot create a volume on that disk...
    Why it can't do it ? Is it a permission/rights issue ? No clue...

As it is a fresh install and I've done a full update (viw Windows update) of the system before doing anything (like adding a disk), would it be possible that an update has been badly applied ? Like the PP1 ? Should I try to re-apply the PP1 ?

If it was a cable issue, it wouldn't be possible to do what I listed above, no ?

I really not understand this bug.

I will try with another disk and come back. I will share as much as I can here, just in case it happens to somebody else.
    Patrick G
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 12:20 PM
  • Hi Patrick,
    maybe you should issue a bug report on Connect about this issue.
    In this thread this procedure is described.
    This can help the WHS team, to figure out the reasons causing such behavior and maybe contact you to find a solution.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 12:29 PM
  • Hi Patrick,

i'm experiencing the exact same symptoms that you had while trying to add disks to the storage pool.  Getting the "The wizard was unable to create a volume on the hard drive", plus the "Network critical" (red) comes and I got a message on the client "Backup service is not running on homeserver". 

I've tried 2 different drives (SATA and P ATA), and no dice.  Any help is appreciated.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 1:26 AM
  • Have you tried the disk in another machine?  In the other machine you might want to run disk management and clean off any partitions on the disk. 

Also trying to added the disk first as a backup drive, removing it and then trying to add it as a storage pool drive sometimes does the trick.

--
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 11:12 AM