Using WHS as a database server? RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering if anybody has set up a MySQL/PHP database server on WHS? I thought it would be nice if I could log into a personal website through the WHS interface to access a dynamic database. I am aware that there  may not be much of a use for this, since you can log directly into the individual computers and use databases such as Access, but I am still interested in future add-ins and possible using my WHS as a dynamic database. Any suggestions?
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:05 PM

All replies

• Yes, people have done that but it's not supported. If that doesn't bother you then have at it... :D

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:40 PM
  • I've done so (necessary for running a Coppermine photo gallery), and have also installed SQL Server Express (part of WSS 3.0)
    It does work.
    However, it's highly recommended that the databases be located on a drive that is not your System (C: ) drive, nor a drive that is part of the storage pool - in other words, it's "best practice" to install a drive that will be used for these purposes.
    Reason:  C: is only 20GB (and, databases can grow quite large) , and the storage pool should be left under full control of DE (risk of data corruption, to the shares and/or the database) if you try to just toss data in there directly.

I have a dedicated drive installed in my WHS, just for this purpose:  it houses MySQL, PHP (which doesn't even need to be installed in the traditional manner - it just needs to be there), the gallery itself, my SQL Server database (moved from its default location on C: ), and my PCs website.  WHS proper has no interaction with this drive.

As S_M_E said, it's not supported (in other words, if you break WHS, no 'official' help for you :)  ), but, it does work.

HTH,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 5:28 AM