Unable to restore OneCare Backup.... RRS feed

• Question

• Had backed up my entire computer last Friday and have spent the last two days upgrading my Vista Home Edition to Vista Ultimate.  In the process I wound up taking my computer - an HP slimline - back to its original, out-of-the-box configuration, i.e., I zapped and formatted the HD.  OK, so I finally get the Ultimate upgrade on, I re-install my OneCare program, I then go to run my restore, but the program ejects my backup disc and then it comes up asking me to 'Insert Disc 1' from original backup.  I only have the one and only backup disc.  What do I need to do to recover my files?  Thank you.

ReBell

Friday, December 7, 2007 9:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• Did you try feeding the disc right back into the drive?

When you start the restore, are you selecting to perform a custom restore and then a restore from another computer? Note that after you reinstalled OneCare following the restore of the PC to the factory condition, it is a new and different PC to OneCare - this copy of OneCare has never done a backup, so that backup disc is from another computer.

Another possibility is to not open OneCare, but insert your backup disc and let the autorun program for the restore wizard launch on insertion.

-steve

Saturday, December 8, 2007 2:37 AM
  •  

when I insert the disc, nor can I 'Explore' the disc
    Monday, December 10, 2007 10:54 PM
  • Try closing OneCare on the PC and inserting the disc to run it. If this doesn't work, and you still can't restore, please contact support.

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 1:48 AM