locked
Windows Home Server Connector can't find the server after Security Essentials installed. RRS feed

  • Question

  • I recently switched from Live OneCare to Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) in preparation for the impending upgrade to Windows 7 (which is not compatible with OneCare).  After uninstalling OneCare and installing MSE, none of my computers (2 x Vista Home Premium 64 and 1 x Vista Ultimate 64) could connect to my HP MediaSmart 475 (with all the latest patches).  I can still see the server on the network and can manually copy files to and from it, but the connector software tells me it can not find it (no auto back-ups). I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Connector software, but no luck.  I can get to the Authentication step where you are asked to enter the password but then I receive a message saying that I cannot connect to the server. I have a MediaSmart 495 on order, but if it won't work with MSE, I'll probably return it unopened.
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 7:13 PM

Answers

  • It's possible that MSE has changed your firewall configuration, blocking ports that Windows Home Server needs. You'll find documentation on which ports Windows Home Server uses in the Home Networking technical brief, and presumably documentation for the MSE firewall is available from Microsoft as well.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Diesel54 Wednesday, October 7, 2009 4:03 PM
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 8:21 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  • I'm using HP servers and am not having any trouble.  I switched 2 computers from Avast to MSE.  One was XP, the other Win 7 32bit.  Maybe its a 64 bit problem.
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 7:21 PM
  • It's possible that MSE has changed your firewall configuration, blocking ports that Windows Home Server needs. You'll find documentation on which ports Windows Home Server uses in the Home Networking technical brief, and presumably documentation for the MSE firewall is available from Microsoft as well.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Diesel54 Wednesday, October 7, 2009 4:03 PM
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 8:21 PM
    Moderator
  • I believe it was due to MSE changing my firewall configuration.  I added "Connector" to the excluded list and everything works now.  You would think MS would do a better job of integrating with their own software.  Thanks for the help.
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 4:06 PM