Managing Playlists via the Remote Web Access RRS feed

• Question

• I have the following problem when creating playlists via Web Access in WHS2011: 

I am able to get all the songs I want in the queue by adding albums and then deleting the songs I don't want.  I then save the queue as a playlist.  The problem is that only one song from the playlist got saved.  I thought that maybe it was because that was the song playing.  So I tried the same while playing a different song, but the exact same song gets saved as the only song on the playlist. 

Is this a database problem?  Should I do the delete-the-database trick?

When I open Windows Media Player as Administrator, I can see these playlists (under Other Libraries -> Server).  However, I can't delete them or change them.

Is there a way to delete a playlist created via Remote Web Access?  It seems weird that you can only create one, but not delete one.  But I can't seem to find how to do it via the Web interface.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Craig

Sunday, June 26, 2011 7:12 PM

All replies

• Ok, I have made some progress in cleaning things up. I am still not sure why the single-song playlists got created, and I haven't tried to create any new ones.  However, I have figured out how to get rid of them.  The ones that are created via Web Access were stored in G:\ServerFolders\Music\Playlists.  The one I created via Windows Media Player was stored in G:\ServerFolders\Music\MP3\Playlist.  This makes sense, since RemoteAccess uses G:\ServerFolders\Music as its music library folder, but I used G:\ServerFolders\Music\MP3 as the library folder in Windows Media Player.  Interestingly, playlists for either location show up via Web Access.

The only problem I have left is that I created a "New Playlist" somehow that shows up via Web Access but isn't in either Playlist folder. Once I clean this up, I will try again to create a playlist via the web.

Craig

Sunday, June 26, 2011 7:26 PM
  • Further investigation makes me believe I have a weird database curruption.  If I add all songs by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers to the queue and save it as a playlist, no problem.  It works fine.  If I do the same with Meatloaf, no problem, it works fine.  BUT, if I do that with Train, the only song in the play list is "Drops of Jupiter".  Now, if I add all songs by Train EXCEPT Drops of Jupiter, then the playlist is empty.  So it seems that there is a database currpution that links all of Train's songs to "Drops of Jupiter".  Very very strange.  I will delete the database and see if this is fixed when it is recreated.

Note, this is only if I create the playlist via Web Access.  If I create it in Windows Media Player, Train playlists are created correctly.  This furthers my view that it is a database issue.

Craig

Sunday, June 26, 2011 7:48 PM
  • Yup.  That was it.  I rebuilt the index under

C:\Users\MediaStreamingAdmin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player

After it rebuilt itself, all was fine.  It is becoming clearer to me that this database is a big weakness for remote access in WHS2011.

Craig

P.S. This has been described before, but this is what I needed to do to delete the database:

1.) Open the Dashboard

2.) Click the Home Tab

3.) Choose Getting Started Tasks

4.) Choose Configure media settings

5.) Turn Off Media Server

6.) REBOOT (This is important)

7.) Open Services (you can do this easily by searching for "services" under Start->Search

8.) Stop the "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service"

9.) Delete everything under "C:\Users\MediaStreamingAdmin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player"

10.) Start the service you stopped in 8.)

11.) Turn On Media Server

Sunday, June 26, 2011 8:28 PM
  • For me I'm in "No videos found." hell.  I have videos in the videos share, the customize says yes to videos.  XBOX just won't see them.  I can pull up the Windows Home Server Launchpad and pull up the shares and see the files and they play.  XBOX see's nothing.  Thoughts?  I have deleted the contents of the Media Player folder twice on the WHS.

JR

Saturday, July 2, 2011 12:17 AM