Drive Extender and Hot Swap Drives RRS feed

• Question

• I am look at building a new server using hot swap drives for WHS Vail to replace my current WHS. 

How does WHS V2 Drive Extender handle failed drives and can it handle hot swap drive replacement or this an OS issue? 

Thanks

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 8:03 PM

Answers

• As far as WHS goes, see if I got this right.  If a drive fails all shares that have duplication will be fine.  I can then replace the drive.  Remove duplication and then turn it back on to re-duplicate the data.
    If you have space, just remove the drive in the Dashboard and DE will go through and duplicate any files that need it. No need to turn duplication off.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:40 PM

All replies

• I am look at building a new server using hot swap drives for WHS Vail to replace my current WHS. 

How does WHS V2 Drive Extender handle failed drives and can it handle hot swap drive replacement or this an OS issue? 

It's a driver issue, not an OS issue. AHCI drivers often do support "hot swap", but you'd have to check with your equipment manufacturer to find out for sure. And don't assume that just because you have a cage with removable drive bays that the cage supports "hot swap", either. Make sure it's explicitly stated.

As for how failed drives are handled: it reports a failed drive, you remove the drive (maybe replacing it if you're low on disk space), life goes on. :) Your data is available even with a failed drive, though Drive Extender will not automatically "re-duplicate" files just because a drive is unhealthy or missing.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 8:14 PM

It's a driver issue, not an OS issue. AHCI drivers often do support "hot swap", but you'd have to check with your equipment manufacturer to find out for sure. And don't assume that just because you have a cage with removable drive bays that the cage supports "hot swap", either. Make sure it's explicitly stated.

As for how failed drives are handled: it reports a failed drive, you remove the drive (maybe replacing it if you're low on disk space), life goes on. :) Your data is available even with a failed drive, though Drive Extender will not automatically "re-duplicate" files just because a drive is unhealthy or missing.

Ken,

I know the hardware will handle hot swapping.

As far as WHS goes, see if I got this right.  If a drive fails all shares that have duplication will be fine.  I can then replace the drive.  Remove duplication and then turn it back on to re-duplicate the data.

Thanks

Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:32 PM
  • As far as WHS goes, see if I got this right.  If a drive fails all shares that have duplication will be fine.  I can then replace the drive.  Remove duplication and then turn it back on to re-duplicate the data.
    If you have space, just remove the drive in the Dashboard and DE will go through and duplicate any files that need it. No need to turn duplication off.
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:40 PM