Backup and * (Standby, Shut Down, Hibernate) RRS feed

• Question

• A suggestion on the client side. When we select to run a backup, it would be nice if we can set the machine to run the backup, and then shut down/hibernate/standby once done. Kinda like the Windows Update option to Install updates and Shut Down. This way, when we are done with the machine we can have it set to backup and turn off the PC when done. And leave for the day, sleep.. what have you.
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 4:29 PM

All replies

• It would be nice, wouldn't it?

A reasonable workaround is to use power options to set the computer to stand by or hibernate after a period of inactivity.

--
    Ken
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 8:40 PM
  • Well, agreed, the Hibernate/Standby power options are there. However, so they aren't annoying, I've got my Hibernate set for around an hour, maybe more, depending, and Standby is pretty long as well. Having it shut down once right after the backup finishes would be preferable if I know I'm done with the PC for the day.

Not only that, in this day and age, there are some oddities still from systems coming out of Standby/Hibernate. Heck, just read the recent 7.2 Changelog for ATI's Radeon Drivers for Vista, there were a few cards there that caused the system to become non-responsive when trying to wake back up.

Also, Vista seems kinda funny, the RTM that is. Sometimes I'll come back to my system after watching some TV, and see the Desktop still there. No screensaver, no monitor shutdown. So, sometimes Standby, for whatever reason, just doesn't happen. :s
    Friday, February 23, 2007 6:55 PM