HP MSS Software Updates coming in Feb RRS feed

• Question

•  

Here is a little blurb from a recent release, looks like I'll be able to go back to the 64bit Vista.

The No. 1 selling HP MediaSmart Server gets better
    The award-winning HP MediaSmart Server will continue to benefit from the extensibility of the platform with a robust independent software vendor program and three software enhancements scheduled for February 2008. All buyers of the 2007 MediaSmart Server will get this enhanced capability through an automatic upgrade delivered to their current servers via MediaSmart’s Internet-based upgrade manager.
    In response to customer feedback, HP will integrate server-side anti-virus software into the device. The software from McAfee will provide added security for customers both at home and remotely. This will allow for basic virus scans as well as deep scans at the operating system level. The software will be free for the first seven months after which there will be a minimal charge.(9)
    HP is building upon the Windows Home Server platform and working with PacketVideo to enhance the media streaming process from the server to other digital media devices in the home, such as the MediaSmart TV. Benefits to the user include advanced graphics such as thumbnails of photos in-menu browsing and album art.
    The device also will support Vista 64-bit for the serious computer users who have advanced, high-performance needs.
    All new products and enhancements are planned to be available in spring 2008.

Sunday, January 6, 2008 3:21 AM

All replies

• Funny that it says they are scheduled for February 2008, but at the end it says they are planned to be available spring 2008.  I'm confused.

I was hoping this would be hinting that the 64-bit connector would be out by feb, but spring?
    Sunday, January 6, 2008 8:57 AM
  • Microsoft will be making an announcement about the 64 bit connector at CES this week.
    Sunday, January 6, 2008 1:41 PM
  •  

The already did!.   It's called POWER PACK 1 and does much more then 64bit client support. For starters, now it supports WHS system backup to an external storage. Sweeeet ! Let's hope that the some serious bugs are gone.
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 5:48 AM
  • I thought this was supposed to be released in February '08, and then slipped to mid April '08.

Is there another slip in the schedule?

Saturday, April 19, 2008 1:42 PM
  • This has been extensively discussed in the forums: due to Microsoft's desire to get the patch for KB946676 right, and the fact that it would have required changes to PP1 anyway, that patch will be part of PP1 when released. The current expectation is that this will occur in the June time frame, with a short public beta sometime next month.

For more information about PP1, see the WHS team blog and do some searches here.
    Saturday, April 19, 2008 8:08 PM