WHS Backup Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

WHS working well so far, but having a problem with one laptop.  Thinkpad T61p, running Vista Ultimate.  All the machines on my network backup fine, but this one will fail during the backup process, usually fairly quickly.  When I look in the log, it says there is a COMException, HRESULT of 0x800704SD / I/O device error.

The problem is limited to the Windows folder because when I exclude that folder, the backup will complete fine.  So I'm guessing there may be a permissions issue or something, but not quite sure. 

This is a domain joined machine however I don't think it's related.

Any suggestions?  Thx!
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 2:32 AM

Answers

• bth123 said:

Hi folks,

WHS working well so far, but having a problem with one laptop.  Thinkpad T61p, running Vista Ultimate.  All the machines on my network backup fine, but this one will fail during the backup process, usually fairly quickly.  When I look in the log, it says there is a COMException, HRESULT of 0x800704SD / I/O device error.

The problem is limited to the Windows folder because when I exclude that folder, the backup will complete fine.  So I'm guessing there may be a permissions issue or something, but not quite sure. 

Any suggestions?  Thx!

Have you tried running chkdsk /r on your laptop?
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 7:11 PM

All replies

• bth123 said:

Hi folks,

Any suggestions?  Thx!

Have you tried running chkdsk /r on your laptop?
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 7:11 PM
  • That was it!  Thank you -- apparently a dump file was corrupt.   Thanks again!
    Monday, March 9, 2009 3:35 PM