MS CRM 2011 - Add 2 or more account to one contact using connection role RRS feed

• General discussion

• If I want to connect a contact to multiple accounts, I should use connection roles. But what limitations this will bring if I compare it to the normal contact to account connection?
    • Changed type HIMBAPModerator Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:33 AM
    • Changed type crm-user-crm Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:45 AM This is more an discussion than a question
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:50 AM

All replies

• Using the normal contact to account connection you would only be able to connect a contact to one account (using the out of the box, "parent customer" field). Your other option would be to create a many to many relationship between contact and account, but this has certain limitations when it comes to using workflow. For example you couldn't connect and contact and account using standard workflow because of the relationship type.

I think connections and connection roles are a good fit for what you want to do. You can manage these relationships using workflow, you can use them in subgrids on forms (e.g show all connected contacts from the organisation form) and you should be able to query them fairly easily using advanced find. I suppose the biggest limitation is that because the relationship is not direct you would struggle to access any fields held on the organisation record when running workflows against the contact. For example if you were generating an email using workflow, you wouldn't be able to pull in and details from related organisations as merge fields. That said, you would have this problem with an out of the box many-to-many relationship anyway.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:02 AM
  • Using the normal contact to account connection you would only be able to connect a contact to one account (using the out of the box, "parent customer" field). Your other option would be to create a many to many relationship between contact and account, but this has certain limitations when it comes to using workflow. For example you couldn't connect and contact and account using standard workflow because of the relationship type.

I think connections and connection roles are a good fit for what you want to do. You can manage these relationships using workflow, you can use them in subgrids on forms (e.g show all connected contacts from the organisation form) and you should be able to query them fairly easily using advanced find. I suppose the biggest limitation is that because the relationship is not direct you would struggle to access any fields held on the organisation record when running workflows against the contact. For example if you were generating an email using workflow, you wouldn't be able to pull in and details from related organisations as merge fields. That said, you would have this problem with an out of the box many-to-many relationship anyway.

But if I connect a contact to accounts using only connectin roles and then want to send email to the all contacts from a certain account, I can't do that?
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:45 AM

But if I connect a contact to accounts using only connectin roles and then want to send email to the all contacts from a certain account, I can't do that?

Yes, I agree. That would not be all that easy.

The only way around this that I can think of would be to create a dynamic marketing list for each organisation. You should be able to retrieve a list of the related contacts. Then perform a quick campaign against the marketing list each time you want to email all of the contacts.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 8:31 AM

Yes, I agree. That would not be all that easy.

The only way around this that I can think of would be to create a dynamic marketing list for each organisation. You should be able to retrieve a list of the related contacts. Then perform a quick campaign against the marketing list each time you want to email all of the contacts.

Yes. But if we think how complicated your suggestion about using marketing list is, it is not a real option for salesmen etc.
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 11:09 AM