I would like to reinstall my version of windows and not lose my files RRS feed

• Question

• Why is it that when I bought this laptop @ Office Max I did not get an installation disc with it for times like this. I've had it for almost 3 yrs and would just like to clean it up ect.  I have a 2 hard drives installed D: and C:, well D: is just there with 108GB of free space (this drive is empty) So my ? is can I backup my files from my C: drive to D and then perform operation or not.  I have spent 10 hrs  reading the help files and still cannot understand if I can do this or not.

My operating system is Windows Vista Home Premium.  CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT HERE??
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 3:09 PM

Answers

• This is the Windows Home Server forum - Im guessing you dont have Windows Home Server otherwise you would likely be using it to restore your laptop.

As Octomom suggested, copy your data to one partition and then reinstall the laptop - sounds like you may need to obtain a copy of Windows though if you didnt get the disks.
    MVP - Windows Home Server http://usingwindowshomeserver.com
    • Proposed as answer by Octomom Friday, August 7, 2009 12:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, August 7, 2009 3:11 AM
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 7:21 PM

All replies

• Well you can certainly just copy your important files to your D drive and then copy them back when you have reinstalled.

Or are you asking how you can use Home Server for this? If this is what you're asking then I'm workeding the same thing.

Thursday, August 6, 2009 5:46 PM
  • This is the Windows Home Server forum - Im guessing you dont have Windows Home Server otherwise you would likely be using it to restore your laptop.

As Octomom suggested, copy your data to one partition and then reinstall the laptop - sounds like you may need to obtain a copy of Windows though if you didnt get the disks.
    MVP - Windows Home Server http://usingwindowshomeserver.com
    • Proposed as answer by Octomom Friday, August 7, 2009 12:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, August 7, 2009 3:11 AM
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 7:21 PM