back up data on three machines RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, Im trying to back data on three machines with a  centralized backup device.  I have hub all three computes together into the live circle.  Back up the hub computer ok.  2nd and 3rd will no back up.  Getting a message "OneCare counld not back up files to the Central Backup device because the device is currently inaccessible.  ...." Am I missing a step?

Also is the files on the device compressed and can only be read if they are restored to the computer?
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 12:46 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Patrick315, this may be a permissions issue. See this Microsoft Knowledge Base article on how to configure permissions on a centralized backup device - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943909
    Jim
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 2:52 PM
  • If you are unable to resolve the permissions issue, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

And, yes, the backups are compressed into .zip files by Backup. You can open these files with a 3rd party program such as Winzip, but larger files may be split into one or more .zip files and would need to be rejoined. The best way to restore from a OneCare backup is using OneCare. Restoring manually is painful.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, February 9, 2009 5:00 PM
  • The referenced article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943909) suggests that the share be set to give everyone full access to it. What's then to stop someone from deleting everything by accident or maliciously?

What account does backup operate under? It would make more sense to just give that account access to the directory and share. I tried "Backup Operators" but it didn't see to work.

Nick

Monday, February 23, 2009 9:03 PM
  • OneCare will protect the backup files within the network Share using permissions. For you to delete the backup files on the Share, you would need to take ownership of the files, which isn't a particularly easy task - see the numerous threads regarding problems deleting backups.
    Backup runs under the logged in user account for any user logged into the PC. You must set the permissions to everyone/full access on the Share or it won't work,
    Personally, I find the backup feature in OneCare to be too limited and unwieldy and prefer to use alternative solutions, while using OneCare for virus/spyware protection and the firewall. OneCare backup is great for a home user that normally would not be backing up at all, but if you have concerns about unauthorized malicious deletion of the OneCare backup files, you should consider alternatives to the OneCare backup.
    s-teve
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 1:09 PM
  • On my share the files created by OneCare can deleted by anyone. I guess I'll have to fudge with the permissions some more.
    Given that the backup is done machine-wide I don't know why the backup operator account is not used.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 5:52 AM
  • You should not change the permissions on the files and the backup folder should be left with the permissions put in place by OneCare or backup to the Share may fail. If all users can see the files in the Share and can delete or change them via Windows Explorer, then you have already changed permissions because the default after OneCare creates the backup folders does not allow even you to see the files until you assume ownership of the files.

-steve
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 1:06 PM