none
Boot manager error on installation RRS feed

• Question

• Been trying to load WHS on an elderly machine AMD 1700), and keep getting an immediate  0xc00000e9 error saying I have a hardware problem.  Tried numerous changes of discs, shut off all USB devices, re-loaded XP Pro, no matter what I do I get this error.  I'm clearly being fick, but any suggestions what the cause might be?  Sorry if this has been answered before but I can't find it - lots of google hits for the same problem with Vista, none of which have helped.
    Friday, May 18, 2007 9:01 PM

All replies

• Actually, the Vista install errors are more applicable than you probably think. WHS uses the new WinPE 2.0 which was used for Vista, so it will have many of the same issues.

If you haven't already, you should work through all of the troubleshooting steps on the download page.
    Friday, May 18, 2007 9:07 PM
  • Been there, done that, hasn't fixed the problem, sorry.  Are there any other suggestions?  Maybe a BIOS update?
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 8:40 AM
  • A BIOS update might help. You could also try reducing the target PC to the bare minimum: one hard drive on the primary IDE channel, one DVD-ROM on the secondary channel. No add-in cards. No USB devices: mouse and keyboard are usually safe, but disconnect everything else, and especially disconnect any internal USB devices from the motherboard. If you've got on-board graphics, turn it on in the BIOS and remove your graphics card.
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 4:16 PM
  • Thanks.  Having read bits of this forum, I realised that the safest option was one HDD and one DVD drive.  I've pulled out any cards except the network one, and there are no USB devices (I turned all USB activity off in the BIOS as well).  The motherboard has on-board graphics so I'm using that.  The machine meets the minimum spec, so the only thing left to try is a BIOS update, or a more up to date 'board (though I'm not keen to buy a bunch of new hardware until I'm sure I want to run WHS for real, and based on my experience so far, I'm starting to think I should stick with my old 2003 Server box)

Thanks again for the help and advice.

Saturday, May 19, 2007 6:15 PM
  • One more thing to try.

I've noticed that sometimes the installer messes up and will not install if it sees an unusual MBR on the hard drive, so you may also want to try zeroing out the hard drive before trying the install. I believe most HD manufacturers have a utility for this, or you can try DBAN (http://dban.sourceforge.net/) and booting it from a floppy to wipe the beginning of the drive.

Just something else I've run into in the many years of OS installs I've done.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 9:56 PM
  • I was having this same problem on a newer Lenovo box I was trying to install this on and i think thats the only thing I didn't try was wipeing the drive fully including the diagnostic partition.  I'm going to try that and see if it fixes my problems when i get home.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 9:59 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestions.  I tried several different discs, including formatted ones with no success.  I'm coming to the conclusion that it might be the USB ports - both machines I'm using have USB 1.1 and not 2, and although I have disabled all USB functions, I suspect that WHS is probing the hardware anyway and doesn't like it.

The main issue is that this software is supposed to be aimed at relatively unsophisticated domestic users, and how are they supposed to cope with this kind of situation without more meaningful error messages?  A generic 'you have a hardware problem' message is pretty useless.  Hopefully the real software will be better in this regard, or maybe the plan is to only sell WHS pre-installed on an expensive chunk of hardware, in which case I for one won't be using it.

Martin
    Friday, May 25, 2007 8:10 PM
  • Martin, they aren't going to have to cope with this for the most part. Most consumers will buy a Windows Home Server from HP, or Acer, or another of the vendors that's going to package up the OS preinstalled on their hardware. Enthusiasts, system builders, and the like are the ones who get to "enjoy" the installation process.
    Friday, May 25, 2007 9:00 PM
  • Hi Ken - I guess you're right for the most part, but unless the pre-built server comes at a pretty low price I would think its a non-starter for most home networks.  On the other hand, lots of people have a perfectly serviceable spare machine lying around that they would like to use as a server, and if the install process is too hard they won't bother.  I run a server based on a very ancient hardware using 2003 Server, and it works fine, but I would prefer if the build of its replacement was more automated

Martin
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 1:15 PM