Appearance of XP Installation disc RRS feed

• Question

• Some months ago, I found a MS website that gave the hallmarks of a genuine XP install disc, its detailed appearance in several parts of the disc indicating genuineness. One of those items seemed to fail the test. I can't now find that web address. Can someone give it to me please. If on closer inspection, following the guidelines on the web page, it appears that one of the 6 or 7 tests failed, what should I then do?  I purchased the disk alone from a reputable computer components store, for a home-built computer.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 3:14 PM

Answers

• The only valid method to determine the validity of the license of your copy of Windows XP is to install it and then run the MGA Diagnostic Tool.  The link you are looking for is the Counterfeit Software Gallery

To help us troubleshoot the issue you are experiencing, please download and run the
    Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool.  Once you run the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on the Copy button and paste the report into your post.  Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:58 PM
    Friday, September 11, 2009 3:25 PM

All replies

• The only valid method to determine the validity of the license of your copy of Windows XP is to install it and then run the MGA Diagnostic Tool.  The link you are looking for is the Counterfeit Software Gallery

To help us troubleshoot the issue you are experiencing, please download and run the
    Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool.  Once you run the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on the Copy button and paste the report into your post.  Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:58 PM
    Friday, September 11, 2009 3:25 PM
  • I ran the MGA Diag - all OK. Thanks for the link to Counterfeit Software Gallery.  I may post back about appearance if I again get a failure of an inspection item. I am curious about what such a failure might mean.

The Counter Soft Gall is not the page I'm looking for. I meant the Windows XP Installation disk only, and a list of the several laser images and
    their response to the look at different angles of observation.
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 6:42 PM
  • Hello robfo,

Just go to www.howtotell.com and click on "Is Your Media Genuine?" when it comes up on the rotating banner.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 9:50 PM