Use backup to move data to a different computer RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting a used computer similar to one I already have. I plan to do a fresh install of Win7 on it, including all programs on the existing computer. I hope to use the backup on WHS to replicate date from the old computer to the new one, then decommission the old one. Should I anticipate any problems in this process?

Thanks

Chris
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 12:26 PM

Answers

• If you're restoring data only, no problems. You'll want to use the single file restore mode, i.e. open the backup through the console and copy files to the new PC.

If you're restoring the entire state of the machine, don't be surprised if it won't boot afterward. There will be hardware differences which may (probably will) result in the computer blue screening.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4:03 PM

All replies

• If you're restoring data only, no problems. You'll want to use the single file restore mode, i.e. open the backup through the console and copy files to the new PC.

If you're restoring the entire state of the machine, don't be surprised if it won't boot afterward. There will be hardware differences which may (probably will) result in the computer blue screening.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4:03 PM
  • I intend to restore data only. I thought it would be easy but haven't done it before. I wouldn't do a full restore even if the machines were identical. I'm changing the OS from Vista to Win7 in the process.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 4:46 AM