Backup & Shutdown RRS feed

• Question

•  

At present, the default WHS backup ocurrs between midnight and 6am.

This assumes PC(s) are (should be)  left running whole night.

An additonal backup and shutdown option would save some energy (and reduce carbon emissions  ) if PC's are not left running whole night.

Regards,

Zvon

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 2:37 PM

Answers

• Zvon,

It's not necessary to leave the computers 'on' all the time.

I have  variety of Xp's & MCE's, desktop & notebooks, which all hibernate when not being used. The Connect software wakes them all up, does the backups and they all return to hibernation. I don't think the power draw between Hibernation and Off is that great and I like the idea of knowing that they are all backed up when I start work in the morning!

Colin

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 4:33 PM
  • Alex, having WHS set the power options for client PCs when the connector is installed is not possible at this time. For that to work, the system BIOS would have to be correctly configured, and there's just no way for WHS to do that.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 7:13 PM

All replies

• Zvon,

It's not necessary to leave the computers 'on' all the time.

I have  variety of Xp's & MCE's, desktop & notebooks, which all hibernate when not being used. The Connect software wakes them all up, does the backups and they all return to hibernation. I don't think the power draw between Hibernation and Off is that great and I like the idea of knowing that they are all backed up when I start work in the morning!

Colin

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 4:33 PM
  • It's a shame it doesn't support Sleep (I don't think!) as this is the default switch-off 'button' on the Vista Start Menu.

I do turn my WHS server off at night as nobody will need to access it so have reconfigured my backups to happen between 18:00 and 23:00 when most of my computers will be on (and at home).

Just my tuppence!

D

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 3:36 PM
  • i think one of the greatest areas for improvement is power management.

It would be nice to have better settings for hibernation/spin down etc.

Imagine if you could even get the server to hibernate and wake on access.

at the very least i'd like to be able to spin down the drives.

super cool suggestion:  have the server set the hibernate and power options for all pc's on the network.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 6:19 PM
  • Alex, having WHS set the power options for client PCs when the connector is installed is not possible at this time. For that to work, the system BIOS would have to be correctly configured, and there's just no way for WHS to do that.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 7:13 PM