Upgrading the WHS Console software on a PC RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS died a couple months ago and it has never been right since. But that is not why I am writing. For the past two months since HP helped me get my WHS back up and running, my roommates vista PC gives an error saying that he needs to upgrade the Console software. Worse, I get the same annnoying message on my PC as I am the admin.

Even worser (word?), my roommate cannot back up his PC any longer.

Even worsest :-), when it gives the message to upgrade the console software it says, "Click here to fix the problem." You click here and get the console to sign into. You sign into the console and see no further instructions.

Where can I go to get the instructions (simple instruction for this poor old consumer user) for how to upgrade the console software? 

Sigh. I'll try to fix it if I can get the instructions.  But the truth is that I am sad about the WHS. I die inside just a little bit every time I try to resolve a problem on WHS. All these niggly problems and there is just no way to ever fix them without being a super geek. Typically, I just try to live with the messages and know that it is beyond my ability to fix. Like why it has been in red critical status for over 6 months telling me there is a problem with a drive, but the drives all show healthy and the repair button is grayed out. Or the fact that since I was able to restore with HP's help, 41% of my drive space is grayed out - due I assume to leftover data. Or that port forwarding worked for a year, but ever since the restore, it pings every day that port fowarding fails...and then links me to the router.

This is such a dynamite idea, but the execution is not for consumers, that's for sure.
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 1:29 AM

Answers

• miguelstewart said:

No, he did not.

How do I got to the server and update my console software? Are there a step by step instructions for doing this?

You open the Shared Folders on Server icon on the desktop, go to the path I posted above, then run setup.exe.
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 7:10 PM

All replies

• miguelstewart said:

My WHS died a couple months ago and it has never been right since. But that is not why I am writing. For the past two months since HP helped me get my WHS back up and running, my roommates vista PC gives an error saying that he needs to upgrade the Console software. Worse, I get the same annnoying message on my PC as I am the admin.

Even worser (word?), my roommate cannot back up his PC any longer.

Even worsest :-), when it gives the message to upgrade the console software it says, "Click here to fix the problem." You click here and get the console to sign into. You sign into the console and see no further instructions.

Where can I go to get the instructions (simple instruction for this poor old consumer user) for how to upgrade the console software? 

It should be included with the documentation you received when you bought the HP product.

Sigh. I'll try to fix it if I can get the instructions.  But the truth is that I am sad about the WHS. I die inside just a little bit every time I try to resolve a problem on WHS. All these niggly problems and there is just no way to ever fix them without being a super geek. Typically, I just try to live with the messages and know that it is beyond my ability to fix. Like why it has been in red critical status for over 6 months telling me there is a problem with a drive, but the drives all show healthy and the repair button is grayed out. Or the fact that since I was able to restore with HP's help, 41% of my drive space is grayed out - due I assume to leftover data. Or that port forwarding worked for a year, but ever since the restore, it pings every day that port fowarding fails...and then links me to the router.

This is such a dynamite idea, but the execution is not for consumers, that's for sure.

Clearly your server is having issues.  When you talked to HP, did you tell them specifically all the problems you are describing here?  Have you ever posted your problems here before?  There's no reason to put up with it for that long.

For starters, did your roommate try installing the updated Connector software from your server share (located at \\server\software\home server connector software)?

Sunday, March 22, 2009 5:15 AM
  • No, he did not.

How do I got to the server and update my console software? Are there a step by step instructions for doing this?
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 5:55 PM
  • miguelstewart said:

No, he did not.

You open the Shared Folders on Server icon on the desktop, go to the path I posted above, then run setup.exe.
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 7:10 PM