DISK DEFRAGMENTER - using One Care Tuneup versus using Windows Vista RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium on an HP desktop. I have been using One Care for about 45 days. When one care performs a tuneup, I have gotten a notice indicating that One Care could not complete disk defragmentation of Drive C due to the high level of defragmentation and that it would complete defragmentation in a later tuneup session. To date it has never completed this process when using One Care Tuneup.

So, I decided to run disk defragmenter in Windows Vista. It completed the defragmentation of all drives no problem. However, when tuneup ran the next time, it notified me that it was unable to complete defragmentation of Drive C once again due to the high level of defragmentation.

Can someone give me an explanation and a possible solution?

Saturday, June 14, 2008 9:31 AM

Answers

• Ignore the message from OneCare. The Defrag part of Tune-up is a timed defrag of your internal drives using Windows Defrag without performing any analysis. It just runs until time is up and then reports that it hasn't completed. However, it is doing its job and there is no problem. Keep in mind that the drive will began fragmenting immediately during normal use, so any Defrag will help performance, however minimally.

-steve

Monday, June 16, 2008 6:35 PM

All replies

• I am getting the same error on an XP pro machine. Everything else operates normally (WC Tuneup, etc). I use diskeeper on this and other machines, they do not have this failure.

Hope you can get an answer  and me tooSmile!
    Cruise
    Saturday, June 14, 2008 9:19 PM
  • Ignore the message from OneCare. The Defrag part of Tune-up is a timed defrag of your internal drives using Windows Defrag without performing any analysis. It just runs until time is up and then reports that it hasn't completed. However, it is doing its job and there is no problem. Keep in mind that the drive will began fragmenting immediately during normal use, so any Defrag will help performance, however minimally.

-steve

Monday, June 16, 2008 6:35 PM