WHS web site okay on local net, links don't work for remote access RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've got my homeserver site working fine on the local network (access over the web using IE8). I've set up some online photo galleries using Adobe Photoshop Elements. These are accessed by clicking on a shortcut in the Photos shared folder that takes you to the Albums folder (it's within the shared Photos folder), then clicking on a .mht file to access an album. The .mht file opens a web page that shows the album contents. Works great when the accessing computer is on the home network.

When I connect to my homeserver site from outside the home network (local hotspot), the web site comes up fine, but shortcuts don't work, and when I drill down to one of the .mht files going through the photos folder, the .mht will not load the album. There are no error messages, just a blank web page (says "done" done in the bottom left corner, rest of the page is just white).

In both cases, I accessed the web site with the same user name that I've set up for family members to use. In WHS, I've tried giving that user read-only and full permission with the same results.

All this is done from the same computer, a Dell Studio XPS 16, Windows Vista Home Premium, IE8

I suspect this is a security setting somewhere that affects some aspects of incoming internet traffic.

I appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Thanks,
    Tom
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 6:55 PM

All replies

• I don't use Elements, but probably the "galleries" you have created have explicit file locations coded into them. The Windows Home Server Remote Access web site won't (can't) support those explicit paths, so your galleries don't work.

You might want to take a look at the Windows Home Server adding "whiist" instead; it includes a simple gallery.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 7:45 PM
  • Hi Ken.

I guess the strangeness is that when I access the site through IE with the laptop on the local net, the links work, but from outside the local net they don't.

It does look like now that the .mht files work okay when I drill down to the album directories from outside the local net - I changed some IE8 security settings, not sure which one(s) fixed that problem. So now I'll just have to not have any link (shortcut) based navigation for my users.

As for the Whiist suggestion abov, I used it to change the site logon picture and will look at the other things it makes possible.

Thanks for the information,

Tom
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 12:21 PM