Shuts down RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

HI - I am having difficulty with my computer shuting off. Right in the midst of things. Typically it is when I am even trying to update via microsoft website. doesnt go through the shutdownfase just shuts off.

seems to have started about three to five weeks ago. No nothining is new. except for updates either to live one or miscrosoft windows.

It shuts down when I run a defragment at times - not all the time. But once in a while.

Sometimes when I attempt to restrat after it has shut itself down - it locks up in the first screen, Bios? and when it locks up I need to unplug it, and disconect the battery from it.?

Took it to the local computer store and they said they have seen this with onecare? suggested I try norton but I had major issues with them prior to trying one care.

Any ideas of where to begin?

Thanks

David

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 9:48 PM

All replies

• I am fairly certain that One Care would not be the cause of this issue. The first things I would suspect are overheating due to dust accumulation or a failed or failing cooling fan, or a failing power supply.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 10:06 PM
  • so then why can I be pretty certain that it will happen - when I run the windows update?

I can recreate it then - but have not been able to other ways?

I do have it sitting on a tripp-lite cooling pad to try to keep it cool.

Additionally from trying to navigate through the maze of threads I have similar issues with some who talk about firewall not working - yet this is not very often only once in a while at the bottom of my screen when I start up it says my computer might be at risk and firewall is shut off?

Dave

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 11:16 PM
  • The reason that Windows Update and Defrag (and probably a virus scan) causes it is that these are disk intensive activities. The processor gets used heavily and the drive is spinning as these processes search the drive to do their thing - Windows Update to scan for updates already installed and what needs to be updated based on the available updates, Defrag to read all disk sectors and rearrange them on the platters, and virus scan to read every file to check against signatures in the database. These tasks will cause a PC to heat up considerably.

As for the firewall question, if the warning is from Windows Security Center (a red shield with an X in it) then it is due to a startup resource issue - meaning that OneCare's firewall has not yet communicated to Windows Security Center, though it has probably started already with the network as a service. The OneCare interface is unable to start quickly enough to report to the Security Center due to other work that the PC is doing at startup. This is particularly true if the OneCare icon then appears and is green.

-steve

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 11:35 PM
  • Ok - that possibly answers the question of WHY it is happening - is there anything I can do to STOP it from happening?

Ive tried to keep the laptop off - run the scan (you were right - even when I run a complete virus scan with ONE) and the MSupdate when I first turn it on and  it still happens? Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Dave
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 2:37 PM
  • Dave, I think you need to find a different computer repair place to have a look at it as it sounds very much like it could be a heat issue. That means cleaning out vents, making sure that the fans are fully operational, etc. It may also be faulty hardware, but that needs to be ruled out by performing diagnostics on the hardware.

-steve

Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:04 PM