WHS backup cleanup fails constantly RRS feed

• Question

• I consistently get an error message when I manually invoke the backup cleanup.  The process always fails and my backup file just continues to grow and grow.

Use case:
    - Go into Settings/Backup
    - Invoke Cleanup Now
    - Process starts and gets about 5% done
    - The following error message is displayed: An error in the backup service is preventing the cleanup operation.
    - Invoking the Repair facility successfully completes...but none of my backups marked for deletion are deleted.

The Applications log contains the following log entry:

Faulting application whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.2030.0, faulting module whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.2030.0, fault address 0x0001d613.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sunday, November 15, 2009 8:49 PM

Answers

• I consistently get an error message when I manually invoke the backup cleanup.  The process always fails and my backup file just continues to grow and grow.

Use case:
    - Invoke Cleanup Now
    - The following error message is displayed: An error in the backup service is preventing the cleanup operation.
    - Invoking the Repair facility successfully completes...but none of my backups marked for deletion are deleted.

Faulting application whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.2030.0, faulting module whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.2030.0, fault address 0x0001d613.

You might start by running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server.  See the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors for details on how to do that.  If that doesn't help, it's possible your database is somehow corrupted and the best way to fix it is to delete the entire backup database and start a new one.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 10:47 PM
  • I'm having the same problem. How does one go about deleting the entire backup database?

Thanks,

Dan

Dan
    See the WHS Home Computer Backup and Restore Technical Brief.
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 12:12 AM

All replies

Use case:
    - Invoke Cleanup Now

You might start by running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server.  See the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors for details on how to do that.  If that doesn't help, it's possible your database is somehow corrupted and the best way to fix it is to delete the entire backup database and start a new one.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 10:47 PM
  • I'm having the same problem. How does one go about deleting the entire backup database?

Thanks,

Dan

Dan
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 6:53 PM

Thanks,

Dan

Dan
    See the WHS Home Computer Backup and Restore Technical Brief.
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 12:12 AM
  • Or see my tutorial: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/70348c16-d900-4d43-b7e9-e6c047c4c431

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 12:28 AM