Send email from CRM Online with dynamic PDF document as Attachement RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I have following question. I am using Dynamic CRM Online. 

I have a workflow, which will fire when a particular contact's status attribute gets changed. This workflow will send an email to the respective contact. I was able to complete till this point. 

Now the requirement is to send email with Contact's details as PDF attachment. So this PDF document (which will be attached to email) will change from Contact to contact. How can I dynamically create/attach the PDF document using a Workflow? Do I need to write a plugin for this, if so, any useful references with nearest match requirement? I prefer not to write code, so are there any other options?

I do see my requirement as a very common problem in CRM world, so there should be some way to achieve it. But I was not able to find out that solution because of lack of experience in Dynamics CRM.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 12:27 PM

All replies

• There isn't any OOB way to handle this but you might check out this third party solution: 

http://www.mscrm-addons.com/Products/MSCRM20112013/AutoMerge.aspx

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 1:07 PM
  • @Jason

Can this requirement be done using Custom Plugin? If so can you please share some pointers on web?

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 1:24 PM
  • Using Online - not really. Typically On Premise you are able to access the SSRS web services to generate a report but Online these are not exposed. 

Jason Lattimer

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 1:34 PM
  • @Jason,

So to re-iterate, using custom plugin or a custom WorkFlow, We cannot generate document out of template and attach that to an email using. Am I right?

And you suggest to go for use third party addon.

Out of curiosity, My problem which I narrated in my Original post, is a very common requirement for most of the CRM users. I am not sure why Microsoft never gave a OOB option. Also I do not understand why Microsoft not even gave a little provision in CRM Online to complete this requirement.

Jason, any insights would be helpful?

• Edited by RamiV Thursday, March 20, 2014 4:51 AM
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 4:50 AM
  • Indeed it is a common requirement but a solution hasn't surfaced in the OOB functionality yet - there are a lot of potential reason why. Time, cost, other backlog items, technology, etc.... the list could go on forever. 

To my knowledge, nobody has found a workable solution for creating a PDF on the fly from a plugin. I believe the solution above communicates with a server outside of CRM Online to create the document and then sends the completed file back into CRM. 

Jason Lattimer

Thursday, March 20, 2014 4:57 AM