MOS: Outlook 2010 - Potentially other certs RRS feed

• Question

• So I have been working to get my MOS: Outlook 2010 cert. I work at a helpdesk and manipulate Outlook all day, I've bought the Microsoft study guide(ISBN: 978-0-7356-4875-3) and I'm mostly through it but I decided to take a practice test from ucertify and I failed miserably. What really stumbles me up is that it has a list of steps:

Click Home tab

Click Rules

Click Create Rule

etc...

And I don't remember each and every dialog prompt. It seems to me that the test is geared towards memory versus actual capability. Can anyone tell me is the actual test this way or do they sit you down in front of a PC with Office 2010 and test you that way? Any suggestions on passing this thing? I'm just not getting it.

Friday, October 19, 2012 12:09 AM

Answers

• Hi,

For the Office exams, instead of multiple choice or similar questions, you will get a series of tasks to perform.  For example, you might see a question that asks you to create a category for certain email messages and then assign the messages to the category.  You will actually work in Outlook to complete the task in whatever way that you know how.  As long as you accomplish the task you should get the question correct.

One way that you can study for an exam like this is to go to this link to look at all of the skills that may be tested on the exam.   http://www.certiport.com/Portal/Common/DocumentLibrary/MS2010_External_OD_884_Outlook_2010.pdfGo through the list and then make sure that you know how to do the tasks in Outlook.

For your example above, can you actually create a rule in Outlook, even if you are not using the same series of steps as you list?

These exams can be challenging. You need to be very fluent with the application to be successful.  I have not worked with the UCertify product that you mentioned. I can tell you that I have tried the Certiprep products (http://www.certiport.com/Portal/desktopdefault.aspx?page=common/pagelibrary/certiprep_home.html) and have found them to be reasonable and realistic.

Good luck!

Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

• Marked as answer by Bobscott C Friday, October 19, 2012 7:41 PM
    Friday, October 19, 2012 1:22 PM