on back up drives RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 500gb internal hard drive that I use as the "main Drive" it is sata. I also have a 40GB IDE internal drive that is installed but never used. can I use my internal IDE drive as a backup for the most crucial back up? (untill the day I buy more internal sata 500gb and set up RAID along with a large external drive). setting up a backup, the options given dont address JBOD. I have read in another forum about circumventing this via network option. networking my computer normally to my laptop has been a miss, however I am confident that I will eventually figure it out. So can I network to the extra internal hard drive, that is otherwise not being used?
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 5:11 PM

Answers

• No, OneCare cannot use an internal drive for a backup destination.
    There is a workaround posted at the top of this forum, using Centralized backup to a network Share, which you would create on the internal drive.
    Since OneCare is at end of life, I'd look at alternatives for backup. Since your intent is to backup your most critical data to this internal drive, copy the failes manually or download the free PowerToy - SyncToy - from Microsoft that you can use to sync locations and even automate via the Windows Scheduled Tasks if desired.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 5:18 PM