All clients lost connection to WHS or does this mean my 120-day trial is over? RRS feed

• Question

• A few days ago I noticed that all three of my computers had lost a connection to the WHS.  I mean that the normally green WHS system tray icon is now grey on all three clients.  (I built a self-install WHS box that I keep in my laundry room.)  Anyway, I am able to physically reset the WHS and get connections again, but only for a few hours.

I have reinstalled the connector software from //server/software/windows home server connector folder.

Any ideas?

Could this mean my 120-day evaluation is over?  How can you tell how many days left? 

Thanks, 
    -Behrens-
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 1:12 AM

Answers

• Yes, I think that it was about 3 months ago.  It might be closer to 4 months, but I'm not sure

I plan to purchase WHS from Amazon, but now I want figure out if this is a trial-peroid related problem or a WHS problem before I spend the money. 

Is there somewhere I can see how many days I have left?

It should have an expiration date in the Console (General tab).  However, it may be off by 60 days (there used to be an issue where it showed 180 days from install and I don't know if it's still there or not).  Or you can check the event logs, go to the very bottom, and look at the date (or go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs on the server and look at the WHS logs as well).

Is it normal end-of-trial-period behavior for the WHS to become unaccessable to all clients after running for an hour or two?

It's normal behavior for the server to reboot every 2 hours.  However, I would assume that after the server reboots, the system tray icon should go from gray back to green, but since I've never used the trial, I don't know that for certain.
    • Marked as answer by Behrens Saturday, April 4, 2009 2:37 PM
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 2:33 PM

All replies

• When did you install Windows Home Server? Has it been around 4 months?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 2:20 AM
  • Yes, I think that it was about 3 months ago.  It might be closer to 4 months, but I'm not sure

I plan to purchase WHS from Amazon, but now I want figure out if this is a trial-peroid related problem or a WHS problem before I spend the money. 

Is it normal end-of-trial-period behavior for the WHS to become unaccessable to all clients after running for an hour or two?
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 12:36 PM

It should have an expiration date in the Console (General tab).  However, it may be off by 60 days (there used to be an issue where it showed 180 days from install and I don't know if it's still there or not).  Or you can check the event logs, go to the very bottom, and look at the date (or go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs on the server and look at the WHS logs as well).

It's normal behavior for the server to reboot every 2 hours.  However, I would assume that after the server reboots, the system tray icon should go from gray back to green, but since I've never used the trial, I don't know that for certain.
    • Marked as answer by Behrens Saturday, April 4, 2009 2:37 PM
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 2:33 PM