unremovable unhealthy external drive & console server storage manager error RRS feed

• Question

• I am having two issues with Windows Home Server:

Issue #1: The Console tells me that a Maxtor 6 external drive hooked up to the server is unhealthy, and, as a result there are file conflicts and particular files in the shared folders on the server I cannot open.

To resolve this issue I have tried to:
    - Repair the drive using the Console - process runs, but still tells me drive is unhealthy in the end.
    - Remove the drive using the Console - tells me there is not enough space to do this and does not allow me to run the process. This is not true as, the Maxtor drive is only 190GB and I have over 1TB of free space on the server.

How can I successfully remove this drive and resolve the file conflicts, ideally without losing data?

Issue #2: When I go to Storage Manager in the Windows Home Server Console I repeatedly get me the error message "An unexpected error has occurred in the Windows Home Server Storage Manager".  It also seems to be continuously calculating the amount of space and never reaches an end result.  I can click "Ok" and continue with what I am doing, but I eventually get the error message again, and the Console is running extremely slowly overall.

To resolve this issue I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the Console. Same issue continued to occur on reinstall.

Why am I getting this error and how do I resolve it?
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 11:16 PM

Answers

• Issues 1 and 2 are related; a failing drive can cause issue 2.

As for issue 1, it's possible that you're being told there's insufficient space because you have duplication turned on for some folders, and some of the duplicated files on the failing drive would be forced onto another drive that already contains a copy of the files. You can always "force" the removal by disconnecting the drive entirely (it will show as "missing" in the console) and then removing it. If you do this, you may (after removing the drive) be warned that some shares are unhealthy because there's no room for duplication (assuming that's actually the cause of your issue).

When removing the drive, you'll probably be warned that you'll lose files and/or backups. Given that the drive hasn't failed entirely yet you may be able to recover some of the files if that comes up. If you're warned that you'll lose backups, you should simply accept that and move on.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by mcdonamm Monday, March 1, 2010 5:06 PM
    Monday, March 1, 2010 12:00 AM

All replies

• Issues 1 and 2 are related; a failing drive can cause issue 2.

As for issue 1, it's possible that you're being told there's insufficient space because you have duplication turned on for some folders, and some of the duplicated files on the failing drive would be forced onto another drive that already contains a copy of the files. You can always "force" the removal by disconnecting the drive entirely (it will show as "missing" in the console) and then removing it. If you do this, you may (after removing the drive) be warned that some shares are unhealthy because there's no room for duplication (assuming that's actually the cause of your issue).

When removing the drive, you'll probably be warned that you'll lose files and/or backups. Given that the drive hasn't failed entirely yet you may be able to recover some of the files if that comes up. If you're warned that you'll lose backups, you should simply accept that and move on.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by mcdonamm Monday, March 1, 2010 5:06 PM
    Monday, March 1, 2010 12:00 AM
  • Thanks!  This solved the problem.
    Monday, March 1, 2010 5:06 PM