Windows hom server console can't connect RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I can't get windows home server console on an XP home machine to connect to my home server. I can connect to it to see the shares - that's how I installed the connector on my XP home. I can ping it of course. I can even connect to it via remote desktop. I can do all that but the console can't connect. The message I get is "This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If you home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes."

Could it be that the user account I am using does not have a strong password?

I can connect to it with the console from a different machine with Vista 64 bit. That computer has a different ID, but I just type in the windows home server password.

Thanks,
    Brian
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 4:05 AM

All replies

• You probably have a "name resolution" issue; the computer you're having a problem with is unable to determine what the IP address for your server is, based on the server name.

Can you try the following tests, from a computer that works, and the one that doesn't:
    • Ping your server by name. Does it respond?
    • Ping your server by IP address. Does it respond?
    On a computer that works, one that doesn't, and in a remote desktop session to your server, run the command ipconfig /all and post the clearly labelled results here. To log in to your server using remote desktop (not that this is not a supported access method; unless you know exactly what you're doing, you shouldn't do this regularly):
    • On XP, Start/Run/type mstsc and press Enter, or
    • On Vista, Start/type mstsc in the search box and press Enter.
    • Type your server's name and press Enter.
    • When prompted for a user name and password, type administrator for the user name and the password you set for the console as the password.
    A warning will appear when you connect. This is normal, read it and consider what it says (there really are some dangerous tools that you now have access to). Close it, and don't worry this time, becuase you won't be using any of those tools. 

Now you can run ipconfig /all on your server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 3:07 PM