Invalid Product Key for my new HP Lap Top (preinstalled system) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I bought a new HP LapTop with preinstalled VISTA Home Premium. I erased the system because it was full of HP advertisment and I erased the Recovery files. Then , I installed a  Trial Version of windows Vista Home Premium, but when i try to activate it, it says the code (written on the laptop) is invalid.

I contacted HP Support, and they said that the code is valide only for "their" system... Who build Vista??!!! HP or Microsoft??!!!... I thought that there is only one Windows Vista Home Premium :(.

The guys in HP asked me to contact Microsoft...

So I would like some help here... I also purchased a Windows Vista Business... But I want Media Center for my Lap Top is an HP Pavillion Entertainement PC.

I'm ready to send all necessary information in private if someone is willing to help.

Thanks for reading. Have a nice day.
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 11:33 AM

Answers

• Hello Drisser,

Your issue appears to be outside the scope of the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum. The purpose of this forum is the support of the WGA program. Major manufacturer use an OEM-SLP version of Windows Vista.  The End User Licensing Agreements (EULA) will explain all the details regarding the version pre-installed by the manfacturer of your paticular system. In order to read EULAs, click Start>Run, type winver and click OK, then click on the link for the license terms or EULA.  Below are brief descriptions to help you understand more.  

Below is a brief description of the OEM-SLP Vista which probably came preinstalled on your system:    

1. OEM-SLP: Computers built by large commercial manufacturers that come with Vista Pre-installed come with two (2) Product Keys; SLP and COA Key.  SLP stands for System Locked Pre-install. OEM manufacturer’s add an OEM identifier string to the system BIOS during manufacturing. Windows verifies this identifier during the boot process. In this way the end user will not be required to activate Windows. The OEM SLP Key is geared to work with the special instructions found on that Manufacturer’s computer hardware.  The Product Key is available on the COA sticker and not installed in the computer. For example all DELL OEM SLP Windows Vista systems use a single product key but the COA sticker on the machine contains the unique COA. The key located on the COA sticker should only be used in limited situations and requires telephone activation. Example should you require to reformate the computer the key from the COA sticker would be used. 

PID format: XXXXX-OEM-XX119XX-XXXXX

Did you receive the software recovery media with the HP? Some manufacturers are incorporating the software bits on a hidden partion of the hard drive. In turn there may be an utility available on the computer which you can use to make a recovery media disc in case you need to reformat the computer. Did you make a backup copy of the hidden partion which you indicated having?  Your best option is contacting HP Technical Support and ask them to send you the exact software you erased from the laptop. Next they will provide you with technical support as how you install Media center. Manufacturers provide technical support for Windows OEM SLP installations of the operating systems. 

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, October 23, 2008 10:00 PM
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 10:00 PM