none
wrong usage of WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to have both a file server and a multimedia PC to drive my TV. The hardware is going to be AMD Athlon CPU with 2GB of memory and ASUS mobo with 780G chip set.

I know this is overkill for a typical WHS setup. I'd like to know if there is anything that would prevent me from installing WHS for all the normal WHS backup/fileserver functions, then connect the WHS PC to LCD TV to run PowerDVD or kmplayer, and run ITune to share out music, etc. I know I should avoid messing with D:\DE and D:\Folders directories.

I suppose I could just use WinXP and share some drives, but the Driver Extender funtion seems very nice... I have not purchased either the hw or sw yet, just want to know my options.
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 5:27 AM

Answers

• Windows Home Server, as designed, doesn't make a very good Home Theater PC. While it's possible to install additional software to improve functionality in that area, some of the design decisions that Microsoft made in building the product will likely make it difficult to get it to do everything you're likely to want.

So the recommended solution for home theater enthusiasts is a "two box" solution. You'll have your home server, which supplies storage to other devices on your network, and you'll have a separate HTPC, which will be configured to use the server as additional storage. I happen to like this better than the "one box" solution, because your HTPC is likely to be more power-hungry than your home server. If you have a single dual-purpose box you'll have to leave a power-hungry box on 24/7 to support the home server functions, while (probably) only using the home theater functions a couple of hours a day.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by ctny Tuesday, June 2, 2009 5:47 PM
    Monday, May 18, 2009 3:12 PM

All replies

• question: wrong usage of WHS?
    answer: yes

Most folks here are asking for help just to get WHS to work the way it was intended to work.  Anything outside of that is unsupported and you are on your own.

There are a couple of supported options when a PC is connected to a TV and WHS is used for storage.  One is setting a Vista PC and use Windows Media Center.  A separate WHS PC can be set-up to store recorded TV, music, etc.  On my set-up I have media extenders connected to the all the TV's and the Vista PC is located out of sight.

Saturday, May 16, 2009 4:32 PM
  • Windows Home Server, as designed, doesn't make a very good Home Theater PC. While it's possible to install additional software to improve functionality in that area, some of the design decisions that Microsoft made in building the product will likely make it difficult to get it to do everything you're likely to want.

So the recommended solution for home theater enthusiasts is a "two box" solution. You'll have your home server, which supplies storage to other devices on your network, and you'll have a separate HTPC, which will be configured to use the server as additional storage. I happen to like this better than the "one box" solution, because your HTPC is likely to be more power-hungry than your home server. If you have a single dual-purpose box you'll have to leave a power-hungry box on 24/7 to support the home server functions, while (probably) only using the home theater functions a couple of hours a day.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by ctny Tuesday, June 2, 2009 5:47 PM
    Monday, May 18, 2009 3:12 PM