error message when trying to remove a pc RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to remove a machine and I keep getting an error message saying to restart windows live and try again. Same thing keeps happening

Sunday, May 18, 2008 11:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• If the problem persists, please contact support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Assuming that they can resolve the problem, please post the solution back here and I'll update the answered post. We've had a few reports of this happening and often it is temporary, but when it persists, I don't know what the solution is.

-steve

Monday, May 19, 2008 4:06 PM
  • I'm having a similar issue.

I upgraded one of the PCs from XP to Vista (clean install not in-situ upgrade) and gave it the same 'Name' as the previous installation. However, I didn't remove the XP installation from the circle prior to upgrade - doh!

Now I have two PCs with same Name in the circle and I can't remove the old 'unknown status' PC. I get an error message...

'An error is preventing OneCare from performing this action. Please restart your computer and try again. If the problem still occurs contact the Help Center.'

I'll post back if there's any resolution.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 9:28 AM
  • Can you try promoting another computer to be a Hub PC and try removal of the "ghost" from the new hub?

-steve

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 1:26 PM
  • Steve,

That has fixed it!

I promoted the other PC to a Hub and removed the ghost PC. That left me with both reporting as Hubs so I demoted the original and re-promoted it back to a hub afterwards and had to do the opposite on the other PC - i.e. demote it!

Thanks again and a solution that worked (for me anyway!)....

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 8:41 PM
  • I'm happy to read that this worked for you! Thanks for reporting back.

-steve

Thursday, May 22, 2008 2:32 PM