Backup for Windows Home Server RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am reading a lot of old posts about backing up the home server. Is there a new solution to have an unattended backup solution to completely backup the shares and server itself.  I tried Auto HotKey and that is not working. The Server is a custom build box and is being used mainly for a file server. I need the backups to run automatically. I have a program installed that will let me email like log files so i will know if the backups ran sucessfully but i cant find a backup solution that works. I was looking at robocopy. What are you all using.
    • Changed type kariya21Moderator Saturday, July 24, 2010 10:05 PM not a technical question
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 3:15 AM

All replies

• I have a semi-automated backup system for my shares - I plug in an external HD to WHS and it starts backing up automatically.

To my knowledge there is no such facility to do this for the OS though. Slipstreaming your OS with something like X-files seems to be the only way round an install from your original system disc.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:12 AM
  • ... What are you all using.
    Robocopy and some custom scripting run as a scheduled task.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 10:00 AM
  • As usual, that depends on what are you going to back up.

If you need to backup your OS without stopping it - that would be hard to find working solution.

But, if you are not very lazy, you can have Handy Backup to backup Windows. Actually, it won't be a complete backup, but you can set backup tasks for your files, registry, databases (if you have) and other things.

But you tell that it is being used mainly for a file server. Then Handy Backup fits you. Connect an external HDD, set nightly backup and don't care.

Friday, July 23, 2010 12:25 PM
  • If you want to backup Window Home Server to the Amazon S3 cloud you may want to check out CloudBerry Backup

Windows Azure storage option is coming soon.

• Easy installation and configuration
    • Seemlesly integrates with WHS control panel
    • Default backup plan is designed to quickly start WHS data backup
    • Full support for Drive Extender
    • Scheduling capabilities
    • Data encryption
    • Data retention schedule
    • Secure online storage
    • Data versioning
    • Differential backup
    • The ability to restore to a particular date
    • Backup verification
    • Backup Window
    • Automatically delete files from online storage if the were deleted locally

Thanks

Andy

Saturday, July 24, 2010 9:33 AM