upgrading MCDST & MCSA with the fewest exams RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking to update my resume and skills, but money is tight. I'd like to take as few exams as possible while getting the maximum number of things I can add to my resume.

I've been laid off and have only had temp jobs for over a year. I'm looking for work as a help desk worker, tech support, field service tech, or network administrator. I currently have A+, Network+, MCSA, and MCDST.

To get those, I passed A+, Network+, 70-270, 271, 272, 290, and 291

Am I correct that I can get MCTS and MCITP by passing 70-648 and 70-682? Do I need to pass the Vista stuff first or can I go right to 7 without taking extra exams? I only have Vista Home Premium to play with so that might be difficult unless the trial is still available.

My exposure to Server 2008 has been limited, and I've been eying the book listed for the 70-648 upgrade exam. If it is like the prep book for 70-271, it sounds like just what I need to update my skills.

However, exam 70-682 is rather scant on advice for study material. Is it like #648 and a combination of other exams? If so, which tests does it cover? I probably can't afford all the books, but my library has a good number of Microsoft Press books, and I'd like to take a look at them if they are in the catalog. What are the numbers for the two exams that this test covers, and what books should I study?

Is there anything else that I'm one exam away from getting (or would be if I take one of these? The "Certification Planner" doesn't seem to work right in Firefox and is rather tedious in IE. I'm not even sure if I'm reading it right for the two exams I mentioned, or if I need to pass more exams to get those certifications.

I could use some advice on my options for upgrades with as few exams as possible. I'm also looking at taking the Security+ from CompTIA, if that helps put me 1 exam away from anything.

I'm doing a lot of looking in the last month if you saw my other posts, but not a whole lot of doing right now. I'm attending night school as well after getting a loan from my mother, but due to me testing out of a bunch of classes and prerequisite requirements on others, I'm going to have a light load soon so I thought I'd use the time to upgrade my certifications. The college is on quarters, and the quarter ends for me next Monday, so I'm looking to start doing in a week.

I think I'm two exams away from getting MCSE, but I'm not sure if it is worth it. I've seen quite a few jobs that want MCSE, but it's obsolete now.

Monday, May 30, 2011 12:43 PM

Answers

• You can take 70-648 to get your MCTS: Active Directory and MCTS: Network Infrastructure, since you already have your MCSA: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-windowsserver.aspx#tab4. You are just one exam (70-646) shy of MCITP: Server Administrator at that point.

Taking 70-682 would also net you an MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician 7, as you also have an MCDST. If you did 70-648 and 70-682, you'd be in good shape to go for MCITP: Enterprise Administrator at that point, just lacking 70-643 and 70-647.

Hope that helps!

• Proposed as answer by Paul Hite Wednesday, June 1, 2011 3:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by SlickRCBD Wednesday, June 1, 2011 3:43 AM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 3:19 AM
  • Concerning your MCSE question, you are at least three exams shy: 70-293, 70-294, and your design exam (either 297, 298, or 285), but your CompTIA Security+ certificate will fulfill your elective requirement, so it would help out.

Personally, I would recommend saving your brain and money and just going to the 2008 standards.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 3:23 AM

All replies

• Hello Slick!

Well, it all depends on what exactly you are wanting to achieve. For example, you can easily achieve your MCTS by passing just one exam. There are many MCTS certifications, and I believe they are all pretty much one-exam certs. They are kind of the "MCP"s of 2008 and 7. The MCITP is a little different. Without knowing all of the exams that you have taken and passed, I can't fully answer the amount of exams that you would need to achieve one of the MCITPs. However, there are a couple different MCITP certifications that only require two exams to be passed, and they are client-based (not server-based), so it sounds like they would be what you are looking for since you are trying to nab a help desk or tech support role. One would be the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7. TechMyWay Training has the course description and exam requirements for this certification listed here: http://www.techmyway.com/Courses/Certification.aspx?course=4. As you can see, it is only a 2-exam certification.

The upgrade process is going to be at least 2 - 3 exams from an MCSA, depending on what cert you are going for.

As for the MCSE, I wouldn't totally put it out of your mind. It is not at all obsolete. Even though 2008 has been out for a few years now, many mainstream companies, even tech companies, are still yet to upgrade their environments to 2008. I have seen many, many job postings recently requiring or desiring an MCSE. It seems that many companies aren't even totally familiar yet with the new MCITP standard.

At any rate, I hope this was helpful! Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Very Respectfully,

Josh Blalock, MCITP | MCSE 2003 | MCT: www.techmyway.com

Joshua R Blalock
    Monday, May 30, 2011 9:48 PM
  • I listed my exams in my post

I passed A+, Network+, 70-270, 271, 272, 290, and 291

I got my hands on a "labsim" study guide for 70-293, and it looks like stuff I already know.

I'm unsure what certifications to go for. Would passing 682 and 648 be enough to upgrade, or do I need a third exam? What third exam would I need for MCSE?

I'm trying to make myself employable for a tech support, help desk, or network admin job. Getting certifications is a means to an end. Becoming more familiar with Server 2008 along the way is a bonus.

Part of the reason I got MCDST is because I could. I didn't have to study too hard because just about everything was stuff I already knew from experience. That goes double for the 270 and 271 exams. In fact,  feel I wasted my money buying the book for the 271 exam, but my library didn't have it. Well, that, and I figured if I wanted to do desktop support, I should have the certification whose name screams "qualified individual for the job".

• Proposed as answer by Paul Hite Wednesday, June 1, 2011 3:16 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Paul Hite Wednesday, June 1, 2011 3:16 AM
    • Edited by SlickRCBD Thursday, June 9, 2011 7:07 PM
    • Proposed as answer by zacky mr Monday, February 17, 2014 11:37 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by zacky mr Monday, February 17, 2014 11:37 AM
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 3:17 AM
  • You can take 70-648 to get your MCTS: Active Directory and MCTS: Network Infrastructure, since you already have your MCSA: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-windowsserver.aspx#tab4. You are just one exam (70-646) shy of MCITP: Server Administrator at that point.

Taking 70-682 would also net you an MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician 7, as you also have an MCDST. If you did 70-648 and 70-682, you'd be in good shape to go for MCITP: Enterprise Administrator at that point, just lacking 70-643 and 70-647.

Hope that helps!

• Proposed as answer by Paul Hite Wednesday, June 1, 2011 3:23 AM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 3:19 AM
  • Concerning your MCSE question, you are at least three exams shy: 70-293, 70-294, and your design exam (either 297, 298, or 285), but your CompTIA Security+ certificate will fulfill your elective requirement, so it would help out.

Personally, I would recommend saving your brain and money and just going to the 2008 standards.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 3:23 AM
  • It looks like I should be able to pass 70-293 and the Security+ easy enough without too much studying, but I'd need to find some study material for 70-294. Mind you, I've only glanced at the material for 70-293, as opposed to seriously studied it. I'm taking a more serious look at the Security+ and am planning on trying for that exam in the next two weeks.

I'm just not sure if it's worth spending $300 to add "MCSE" to my resume at this date in time. I agree, I'll probably go for the 648 and 682 first.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 3:44 AM
  • normally you should get a printout after each exam that gives you the total score and even splits up into the different areas to show you, in which areas you was weak and which you was strong.

As far as I know, there is no other way. But maybe you want to contact your regional support center. If they have the scores of all your exams, then they might give you the details. (But you do not get detailed informations about the questions and so!)

=

With kind regards,

Monday, February 17, 2014 11:36 AM
  • It looks like I should be able to pass 70-293 and the Security+ easy enough without too much studying, but I'd need to find some study material for 70-294. Mind you, I've only glanced at the material for 70-293, as opposed to seriously studied it. I'm taking a more serious look at the Security+ and am planning on trying for that exam in the next two weeks.

I'm just not sure if it's worth spending $300 to add "MCSE" to my resume at this date in time. I agree, I'll probably go for the 648 and 682 first.

Monday, February 17, 2014 11:37 AM
  • I listed my exams in my post

I passed A+, Network+, 70-270, 271, 272, 290, and 291

I got my hands on a "labsim" study guide for 70-293, and it looks like stuff I already know.

I'm unsure what certifications to go for. Would passing 682 and 648 be enough to upgrade, or do I need a third exam? What third exam would I need for MCSE?

I'm trying to make myself employable for a tech support, help desk, or network admin job. Getting certifications is a means to an end. Becoming more familiar with Server 2008 along the way is a bonus.

Part of the reason I got MCDST is because I could. I didn't have to study too hard because just about everything was stuff I already knew from experience. That goes double for the 270 and 271 exams. In fact,  feel I wasted my money buying the book for the 271 exam, but my library didn't have it. Well, that, and I figured if I wanted to do desktop support, I should have the certification whose name screams "qualified individual for the job".

Monday, February 17, 2014 11:37 AM